Thread: Mary Dix

sandy

Default Mary Dix

HI my grandmother was Mary Dix born 1902 at Streatley Berkshire ref for birth vol2c page321
    Father was William Dix and mother was Anne Lowe. Mary married William Richard Brown at Aston Tirrold in May 1923 ref for marriage is vol02c page 773. Mary is not on the 1911 census I was told by my grandmother that she was given to a aunt and uncle to bring up and that she was known as a child as Mary Painton and that she lived at the Blue boar pub in Newbury. I have not been able to find a family link with the Painton family.
    When Mary married Wiliam Brown she is back using the name Dix Please can you help thank you Sandra

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by sandy View Post
    Mary is not on the 1911 census I was told by my grandmother that she was given to a aunt and uncle to bring up and that she was known as a child as Mary Painton and that she lived at the Blue boar pub in Newbury.
    Is she in the 1911 census living with the Painton's?

1911: RG14/6379 /SN125

sandy

Sorry yes she is Thank you Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by sandy View Post
    HI my grandmother was Mary Dix born 1902 at Streatley Berkshire ref for birth vol2c page321
    Father was William Dix and mother was Anne Lowe.
    Is this the parents' marriage?

groom's name: William Dix
    groom's birth date: 1870
    groom's age: 21
    bride's name: Ann Eliza Lowe
    bride's birth date: 1869
    bride's age: 22
    marriage date: 1891
    marriage place: Charney, Berks, England
    groom's father's name: William Dix
    bride's father's name: Charles Lowe
    (from family search)

If so, I think I see William and Ann Dix in the 1901 and 1911 census together. Lots of children. It seems strange that they gave one up.

1901: RG13 Piece: 1141 Folio: 100 Page: 8 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    1911: RG14/6472 SN113 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

OK, I'm not certain I've worked it out, but if I have the correct William Dix then it appears he had a sister Anna Dix, born about 1864 in Tubney, Berks.

1871: RG10; Piece: 1261; Folio: 7; Page: 5; (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

She may have married Isaac Lay in 1885 in the Abingdon district. They are in the 1891 census and Anna's birth date is now 1866...

1891: RG12 Piece: 982 Folio: 116 Page: 7 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

An Isaac Lay died in 1895 in the Wantage district. Perhaps Anna Lay married again..

Marriages Mar 1898 Wantage 2c 435
    Painton Thomas Henry
    Lay Anna
    Say Anna

In the 1901 census, Thomas Henry Painton and Anna...

1901: RG13 Piece: 1126 Folio: 109 Page: 17 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    The Old Church, East Shefford, Berks
    PAINTON, Thomas H, head, 35, farm foreman, Fallow Berkshire
    PAINTON, Anna, wife, 34, dressmaker, Tubney Berkshire
    PARKER, Charles, nephew, 4, Abingdon Berkshire

You have the reference for Thomas Henry PAINTON in the 1911 census; see post #2.

If this is correct then Anna Painton was aunt to your Mary Alexandra Dix. This theory needs further checking of course and if I've gone wrong in any of my assumptions, feel free to ignore this post.

sandy

Hi Olliecat Thanks for the infromation what will be the best way to prove the above information as it has taken 2 years to get to here. Mary told me she was given way because her family were poor Thank you Sandy
    Last edited by sandy; 15-03-2011 at 5:30 PM. Reason: wrong way

Well, you know that Mary is with the Painton's in 1911. The number of years Thomas and Anna Painton say they have been married doesn't quite match the 1898 marriage, but people can be innacurate on census forms.

Perhaps the best way to proceed would be to get hold of the Painton's marriage certificate - in order to check Anna's maiden name and to see if she was married previously.

Marriages Mar 1898 Wantage 2c 435
    Painton Thomas Henry
    Lay Anna
    Say Anna

Whatever the case, I think you need to find out more about the Painton's and the marriage cert might help. Do you have William and Ann Dix mee Lowe in all the census returns and have you sorted them out to your satisfaction, i.e. their parents, their other children, when/where they died and so on?