Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brenda in Cyprus

Default Willis & Carter Tollesbury & Heybridge areas

I have the WILLIS family inc Joseph & Sarah (Thurgood) b 1757/1762 both in Stebbing Essex thro' to my Grandfather Henry Edward b 1888 in Heybridge Basin & the CARTER family from John & Elizabeth (Horsnail) b 1724/1737 in Purleigh thro' to my Grandmother Alice b1891 in Chiswick. Ring any bells?
    Brenda
    Last edited by Brenda in Cyprus; 06-11-2004 at 3:03 PM.

Linda

Default CARTER of Purleigh

Hi Brenda

I have connections to CARTER of Purleigh but cannot trace any further back than Samuel b: abt.1773 as there were 3 Samuel CARTERs born in Purleigh around that time - no way of knowing which one was mine (if any!)

Samuel's wife was Sarah, their children, baptised in Purleigh:

Samuel - 1800
    Thomas - 1802
    Sarah - 1804
    William - 1806
    Joseph - 1817
    Ann - 1821

I am a descendant of William.

Any connection with your CARTER family?

Other CARTER connections from Purleigh are FRANKLIN, ARDLEY and CABLE

Linda

Brenda in Cyprus

Smile

Hi Linda
    Thanks for the reply. The only Samuel I have found at the mo is Samuel b1769 in Purleigh. His fathers name was John b 1724.Married & buried in Purleigh but I'm not sure of his place of birth yet- other than Essex. I wondered at first if my Samuel could be your Samuels father but he would be too young! There could well be a link between our two families via siblings,its just finding it isn't it ! Will let you know if I find anything.
    Regards
    Brenda

Alan Waller

Hi Brenda ,
    I have a John Carter born 1724 in Essex died in 1789 who married Elizabeth Horsnaile, born 1737 in Essex , on 09 Sept. 1762, in Purleigh ,Essex . Elizabeth died in chilbirth in 1772 in Purleigh . Their children were John b. 1763, Thomas b. 1765 , Mary b. 1766 , Samuel b. 1769 and William b.1772 . John was born in Goldhanger whereas the other four were born in Purleigh. I am descended from John Carter b. 1763
    Perhaps we have a connection ?

Alan Waller

Hi Linda,
    I have a Samuel Carter b. 31st December 1769 in Purleigh Essex . His parents were John Carter and Elizabeth Horsnaile. Samuel had four siblings , John b.1763 ;Thomas b.1765; Mary b.1766 and William b.1772 . Elizabeth died giving birth to William . I am a descendant of John Carter b.1763 in Goldhanger . The other four children were born in Purleigh . If this proves to be your Samuel then we are distantly related !

Brenda in Cyprus

Hi Adam
    I am also a descendant of John b 1763! My GGG Grandfather was John & Jemima son
    Charles b1817 in Goldhanger. I am also in touch with a family member via another site &
    apparently Elizabeth Horsnaile was Johns second wife also named Elizabeth b about 1731 & died in Aug 1762.They had five children but only one survived past infancy- Elizabeth b March 1753. Have you come across this?
    Linda- looks as though the link could be getting closer !!

Alan Waller

Hi Brenda ,
    I don't whether you are writing to someone called Adam but this is Alan and it seems that you and I have a common ancestor , John Carter b1763 Goldhanger was also my GGG Grandfather !
    Yes , Elizabeth Horsnaile was John's second wife. His first wife was also named Elizabeth but I don't have her surname. I have no information as to whether John had children by his first wife. John did marry for a third time to Rosanna ? b. abt. 1752 in Essex whom he married 12 April , 1773 .His second wife having died July 1772.

Alan Waller

Hi again Brenda,
    I ran out of space in previous reply . Elizabeth Horsnaile had previously been married to Hugh Homstead on 15 Nov 1753 in Purleigh . This marriage must have ended prior to her remarrying John Carter on 09 Sept 1762; I have no details but I assume she had been widowed or possibly divorced by Hugh Homstead

Brenda in Cyprus

So sorry Alan- got a bit over excited then !! Yes,it is you I am replying to.
    Johns children by his first Elizabeth were
    Elizabeth b 18 March 1753 in Purleigh Ex
    Mary b 11 April 1756 d 22 Sept 1765
    Hannah b 17 April 1757 d 18 Sept 1757
    John b 17 June 1759 d 2 March 1760
    John b 12 June 1760 d 31 Aug 1760
    He finally got his third John with Elizabeth Horsnail as you know. Which one of John & Jemima's children are you related to? I'm in touch with a lady in Wyoming
    USA who is following son Georges line & someone in England related to William.
    Thanks for the info about his third wife-didn't know about her.
    Thanks also Mythology for looking that up
    Brenda

Linda

Default John and Rosanna

Hi Brenda and Alan

There was a John Carter, widower, married Rosanna Tallant, widow, 12 April 1773. Perhaps this is the Rosanna you refer to Alan?

I don't know which is my Samuel:

1769 Samuel son of John and Elizabeth
    1771 Samuel son of James and Mary
    1773 Samuel son of Thomas and Mary

Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast