Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    janbooth

Perhaps the reason for not finding George's baptism with a father George is that he could be the following George:

From Ashwell Parish Register Transcripts:

Born 20 October 1821, baptised 27 July 1834 George HARRADINE son of Rebecca HARRADINE (single woman now married to John GENTLE).

1841 census of Ashwell:

HO107/446/1, folio 8, page 9
    High Street

John GENTLE 60 Ag La
    Rebecca do 35
    George do 25
    John do 15
    Saml do 12
    Frederick do 10
    Alfred do 9
    Frances do 7

All born in the county.

John GENTLE, widower, and Rebecca HARRADINE, spinster, married at Ashwell on 17 August 1822. John GENTLE was previously married to Elizabeth CRANE on 15 October 1794 at Ashwell. They had 2 children James & Mary and Elizabeth was buried on 25 November 1811 at Ashwell, so the George shown in the 1841 census was not the child of John GENTLE.

There is no other George HARRADINE born/baptised in Ashwell c1821 according to the PR Transcripts and I can find no George GENTLE corresponding to the one in the 1841 census baptised in Ashwell either, nor can I find a corresponding George GENTLE in the 1851 census. Both John & Rebecca GENTLE had died in Ashwell before the 1851 census.

Let me know what you think and if you require any further information from the PR Transcripts I am happy to oblige.

Janet

Coromandel

That explains George's elusiveness! Well done, Janet, a great find.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12