Knowledgeable and helpful

Question Bethlehem Hospital 1873 and inquest info needed

Hi, Have just received a death certificate for my ggg grandfather which states

"Suicide-hanging himself by his necktie to a door found dead pm insanity"

well that cheered me up!! it also said infomation was given by William John Payne coroner for London & Southwark.

so what I would like to know please is where I could find records for either Bethlehem Hospital which I believe was also Bedlam? and are there likely to be any records for the Inquest ?

sandie

uksearch

Perhaps you might want to go to the following link.

https://www.victorianlondon.org/healt...emhospital.htm

UK

thanks yes this is a fasinating site but unfortunately doesnt help with finding records
    sandie

AnnB

Have found a site at https://www.bethlemheritage.org.uk/archbethlem.html which looks promising...
    Best wishes
    Ann

thanks Ann,
    looks good but wont let me access images so have sent them an email asking for info
    sandie

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by sandiep
    a death certificate for my ggg grandfather which states
    "Suicide-hanging himself by his necktie to a door found dead pm insanity"
    are there likely to be any records for the Inquest ?
    Survival of inquest records is variable. As this is 6 generations back I'd guess it was in the 19th century, so anything you find should be open to view.

A better source for information on suicides is usually local newspapers, which often report such incidents in detail.

Geoffers

it was October 1873, he was okay in 1871 or I presume he was as he is in the 1871 with his family? he was a city missoner name of John Stroud Cornish. not sure if asylum suicides would make newspapers what do you think?

sandie

k0065126

Default Inquests

Sandie,

If you are able to get to London you might try the British Library's Newspaper Library at Colindale, North London to see what papers they have for the area you are interested in. (Even if you are not able to go there then this will at least tell you some of the papers which existed at the time.)

It is also possible that there is a local studies library attached to the public library which may have copies of local newspapers, sometimes on microfilm which is a great help.

It may also be worth searching the National Archives website to see if they have any records relating to Bedlam. If so they may not relate to patients, but just be administrative matters but worth a try.

Good luckm,

Viv
    Monmouth 1871 co-ordinator for FreeCEN

Just aquick update, the site AnnB gave me has come up trumps they are going to send me Johns records, he was apparently only in from January 1873 till the October when he hung himself. so thanks have put site url again for anyone recomend it, it is in process of coming online but the Archivist answers emails by return great site for info on Bethlem Hospital. sandie

AnnB

I'm really pleased to have pointed you in the right direction - wish I had need of some Bethlem records (mind you, some would say I do..... )
    Best wishes
    Ann