Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    debtudor

Default Thomas and Edward Hearn - Watermen

Hi
    I would be very grateful if anyone can help with more info on Thomas Hearn and family. He was married to Mary and they had children:Thomas 1812, Edward Percy 1827, Charlotte 1827, Mary Ann 1807 & Sarah Ann 1810. The baptisms were at St Mary Magdelane, Bermondsey.
    I would really like to find out what happened to them and who Thomas'(snr) father was and where they came from.
    Any help muchly appreciated.
    Deb

What struck me on reading your post was the large gap between the baptisms of these children.
    Could these be other children of Thomas and Mary. In all cases the parents are Thomas and Mary and Thomas' occupation is waterman. all at St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey.
    Louisa Hearn 15 May 1814 address of parents East Lane
    Frederick Hearn 14 Jan 1816 East Lane
    Ann Hearn 2 June 1819 East Lane
    Caroline Hearn 12 Sept 1821 Jacob Street
    William Henry 19 May 1830 Jacob Street

ancestry isn't showing Thomas 1812, Mary Ann 1807 and Sarah Ann 1810 for me at the moment.
    Edward Percy and Charlotte 1827 are showing with the address Edward Street which isn't one of the addresses for the children I found so no definite link.

You have Edward Percy with his older brother Thomas in 1841?
    HO107/1048/33/20 book 4 (TNA copyright)
    Bermondsey
    Thomas Hearn waterman 25 born in county? Yes
    Sarah 25 yes
    Thomas 4 Yes
    Edward Hearn 14 no occupation given Yes

debtudor

Hi Christanel
    Thankyou.
    I haven't got very much information on my family. Edward Percival and also Frederick I know for sure are family names but that might not be of much help. Thomas would be my ggg grandfather. I've just looked through my stuff again and I have another dob for Edward Percy as 1838. I think he was my gg grandfather.
    Deb

I can't find another birth for an Edward Percy 1837 to 1840.
    There is this death for Edward Percy Hearn death reg March 1/4 1900 Croydon District vol 2a page 267 Edward was 74 years old so born c1826 which puts him in the picture as the son of Thomas and Mary.

You say you 'think' Edward Percy is your gg grandfather. How have you worked back to him from yourself? Your parents? Your grandparents? Your g grandparents and so on? What records and evidence took you back this far?

Edward Percy married Jane Ware at St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey 28 Nov 1852. He was a bachelor of full age and a lighterman. Jane was a spinster of full age. His father Thomas Hearn a lighterman. Her father George Ware a carpenter. The witnessess were George Ware and a Helen G....?

Baptisms of four children to Edward and Jane
    St Mary Magdalene Southwark
    Frederick Percy bpt 29 Aug 1858
    George William same day. father Edward a lighterman and address St John's Southwark.
    Alfred bpt 24 Jan 1864 born 25 Dec 1860
    Same day Jane Sarah born 7 Dec 1863 parents address John Street father a labourer.

1861 census RG9/317/63/54
    10 John Street Horsleydown Southwark
    Edward hearn 34 Lighterman born Bermondsey
    Jane 28 Bermondsey
    Thomas E 7 Limehouse
    George W 4 Limehouse
    Frederick P 2 St Johns
    Alfred 3 months St Johns
    Sarah Ware 72 mother-in-law Lincolnshire District not known

debtudor

Thanks again
    I have tried to find as much information as I can through websites, census, friend and what's left of my family. I've gone back as far as Thomas but not sure whether everything I have is 100%. Edwards son Frederick Percival was my great grandad. His son Percival Arthur was my grandad and my dad was Frederick John. I would really like to find out who Thomas' father was and where they came from. It has always been believed that my Hearn family originally came from Ireland and I would like to find out if that's true and if so where in Ireland etc. I'm wondering if Thomas' family were also Watermen/Lightermen?

Hello
    Well it looks as if your information is good. I have been working back through the censuses etc and it certainly leads back to Thomas and that of course is the difficult part. You need the marriage record of Thomas Hearn and Mary ??
    There is one record on ancestry but gives nothing other than the bride's name of Mary Ward who made her mark and that of the groom Thomas Hearn who signed. But it was in 1803 and if their first child Mary was born 1807 I would expect there to be earlier children. No parents mentioned either.
    I also cannot see suitable candidates on the 1841 census for Thomas and Mary. Bah!

Coromandel

Here's a research guide about the records of the Company of Watermen & Lightermen. For more information see James Legon's book, My Ancestors were Thames Waterman.

Indexes to apprenticeship bindings and other relevant records are available on CD from Trueflare: see https:// trueflaregenealogy.co.uk/

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    For more information see James Legon's book, My Ancestors were Thames Waterman.
    Available from Parish Chest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast