Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    notsosure59

Default TRACING THOMAS MCEVOY,LIMERICK JUNCTION

Hello Hello
    I have recently started to trace relatives from Ireland. I have had great help and luck with my fathers side the FARRELLY'S from WESTMEATH. Not so with my grandmothers side of the family, the MCEVOY'S from LIMERICK JUNCTION, TIPPERARY
    My grandmother MARY ELLEN was born in Limerick Junction in 1887, her father (my great grandfather THOMAS MCEVOY) was a railway porter at the time of her birth and we are told actually retired as station master at Limerick Junction??
    I can find no trace anywhere in the 1901 or 1911 census of an address for any of this family. I have found a William McEvoy, railway signalman living in Ballykisteen - a relative maybe?
    MARY ELLEN married PATRICK FARRELLY, my grandfather and moved to Manchester. My dad Terence was born in Manchester in 1921.
    I am a beginner to all of this, so any tips or advice tracing my grandmother's roots in Limerick would be most appreciated.
    Thanks
    Patrick

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by notsosure59 View Post
    My grandmother MARY ELLEN was born in Limerick Junction in 1887, her father (my great grandfather THOMAS MCEVOY) was a railway porter
    You haven't said who Mary's mother was. Could the family be in Lancashire in 1901 and 1911?

1901: RG13 Piece: 3662 Folio: 22 Page: 35

1911: RG14/23607 SN340

Richard1955

Hi Patrick
    www.
    rootsireland.ie shows Mary Elen McEvoy birth 1887 Tipperary but you'll have to buy credits to view it. (sorry Markj)
    Searched the 1901 Irish and UK census.
    Only the two possibilities and you will probably find the marriage place to be close to one of them.
    https://www.familysearch.org/s/searc...ed=true&page=1
    Obviously if the marriage is between 1901 and 1911 you should be looking for Mary Ellen Farrelly in 1911 but you haven't said when or where the marriage was.
    Hope that helps
    Richard
    Last edited by Jan1954; 09-03-2011 at 6:33 PM. Reason: Url edited - pay per view

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1955 View Post
    but you haven't said when or where the marriage was.
    This looks like a good bet ...

Marriages Sep 1912 Prestwich 8d 839
    Farrelly Patrick McEvoy
    McEvoy Mary E Farrelly

There are a number of FARRELLY children (mum's maiden name MCEVOY) in the BMD indexes, born 1914 to 1929 in Manchester. One of these is Terence.

Patrick, if you think the family in the 1901 and 1911 census is yours, then it seems you are in luck. Thomas McEvoy married again after his wife Ellen died in 1912, and his father's name is on the record.

Marriage: 20 Aug 1912 at St Mark, Worsley, Lancashire
    Thomas McEvoy - 45 Railway signalman, widower, of 40 King William Street Winton
    Sarah Janet Bain - 48 spinster of 41 King William Street Winton
    Groom's Father: William McEvoy, Retired Railway Servant
    Bride's Father: James Bain, (deceased), Blacksmith
    Witness: James Pearson; Elizabeth Ellen Pearson
    Married by Licence by: A. B. Wilson Woodhouse
    (From the Lancashire OPC)

Will leave it here now, until you've had a chance to decide if the family in the census is yours or not.

notsosure59

The family moved from Ireland at date unknown but after 1901 but settled in High Burton Street, Manchester. Mary's mother was MARY nee MCarthy

notsosure59

Wow, will double check thanks

notsosure59

Nobody knows whre they got married! In Irleand or Manchester where they settled?. Marriage was between 1901 and 1911 for sure

Quote Originally Posted by notsosure59 View Post
    The family moved from Ireland at date unknown but after 1901 but settled in High Burton Street, Manchester. Mary's mother was MARY nee MCarthy
    Looks like I've found the wrong family then. Did Mary and Thomas McEvoy move over to Manchester too?

Notsosure (I like your username by the way), it's difficult to know which posts you are replying to. It would help if you refer to the username when you are replying to a specific post. Or you could try the 'Reply with Quote' link on the right side of the blue bar beneath the post you wish to reply to.
    Last edited by olliecat; 09-03-2011 at 4:46 PM. Reason: added last paragraph

notsosure59

Thanks, wow, I think you are spot on with the dates, we do not know for asure if they married in Ireland or the UK. All the kids born in the range you suggest. The lived in High Burton Street, Manchester

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast