jlallis

Question Surname interest - jehan

Good evening all
    I am looking for guidance, direction and potentially some assistance.
    I have been researching my family history for a few years now but have hit a brick wall in regards to my great grandfather.
    His name was Albert Francis Jehan and he was born in Guernsey around 1900. He emigrated to America in the 1910s with his siblings Frank and Henry. His fathers name was Ives or Yves Jehan. I believe his mothers name was Marie or Mary but have been unable to fund a maiden name, birth or death records on Ancestry or on a general internet search.
    If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
    I would love to travel to Guernsey once I've researched more but at this point do not have enough information.
    Thank you!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Could this be your family?

1901: RG13 Piece: 5316 Folio: 96 Page: 5 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    Triovil Cottage, St Peter. Jersey
    JEHAN, Yves M, head, 35, General Labourer, France (French Subject)
    Marianne, wife, 33, France (French Subject)
    Francis, son, 9, St Peter Jersey
    Henry G, son, 7, St Peter Jersey
    Clarence F, son, 5 St Peter Jersey
    Gladys H E, dau, 3 St Peter Jersey
    Albert , son 1, St Peter Jersey
    John, nephew, 2, St Brelade Jersey
    TARTERET, Joseph, Boarder, 19, France (French Subject)

Note: surname JEHAN transcribed as IEHAN on Ancestry and ICHAN on FMP

Hmm! not sure. Will have another look.
    Last edited by olliecat; 02-03-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: added last line

jlallis

Thank you so much for your reply!
    I do believe that to be my family but unfortunately have been unable to find much more information.
    I wonder if it is related to the various spellings of the last name.
    Also, I am unsure what the "France, French Subject" references.
    Thank you again. I continue to search!

Quote Originally Posted by jlallis View Post
    Also, I am unsure what the "France, French Subject" references.
    I am not familiar with French nationality law, but I would have thought that Yves was either born in France (or a French territory), or he was born outside of France but one or both of his parents was French. Another option may be that he was adopted by a French subject.

Quote Originally Posted by jlallis View Post
    His name was Albert Francis Jehan and he was born in Guernsey around 1900. He emigrated to America in the 1910s with his siblings Frank and Henry.
    From family search I see this ...

Given Name: Albert
    Surname: Jehan
    Last Place of Residence: St. Peters, England
    Date of Arrival: 06 Dec 1915
    Age at Arrival: 16Y
    Ethnicity: French, England
    Port of Departure: Liverpool
    Port of Arrival: New York
    Marital Status: S
    US Citizen:
    Ship of Travel: Saint Louis
    New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924

Still trying to locate this on the Ellis Island database to see if any other Jehan's are on the passenger list.

Well, it looks like the Albert Jehan on the 1915 passenger list matches the one in the 1901 census. So you can look for yourself, here is a link to the Ellis Island ship manifest (you will need to register) ...

www.
    ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=103097030033

There are two pages to look at and his name and other details are on the second page. Line 3 on the first page also relates to him. The writing is quite small but I think it says he is going to visit his brother Francis.

You should also look at the 1911 census, since Yves Jehan states how many years he has been married and how many children he has had. I cannot post details of the 1911 cenus due to copyright, so here is the census reference.

1911: RG14/34828 SN8

Yves Jehan is also in the 1891 census in Jersey. I can post the details if you wish.

As far as I'm aware, if you need to obtain birth, marriage or death certificates from the Channel Islands then you need to contact the registrar. See here...

https://
    user.itl.net/~glen/CIResearch.html#faq4

Coromandel

There are some Jehans listed in Channel Islands baptisms in FamilySearch (new version), but I can't immediately see references to Yves and family. It looks from the 1901 census as if both Yves and Marianne may have been born in France. Perhaps a birth certificate for one of the children would reveal Marianne's maiden name and hence help locate a marriage? (I haven't ever seen a Jersey birth certificate, though, so don't know what info they contain.)

There are some references to the family in the Archives section of the Jersey Heritage Trust site, at https:// jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je/home.html, including what appears to be a sad story relating to Yves Marie Jehan in 1909.

Regarding John Jehan (shown as nephew of Yves & Marianne on the 1901 census posted above): since his birthplace is given as St Brelade, I fear he may be the John [Francis] Jehan listed on the war memorial there: see https:// roll-of-honour.selvi.co.uk/Jersey/StBrelade.html

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Regarding John Jehan (shown as nephew of Yves & Marianne on the 1901 census posted above): since his birthplace is given as St Brelade, I fear he may be the John [Francis] Jehan listed on the war memorial there: see https:// roll-of-honour.selvi.co.uk/Jersey/StBrelade.html
    However, John Francis Jehan (aged 1, b. St Brelade) is also listed with his parents, François and Leonié, in St Brelade in 1901 (RG 13/5310, f.16). I don't know if the John (nephew) listed with Yves & Marianne is the same boy or not.

If he is the same, then there is an interesting clue here, for François' birthplace is given as Brittany, France, on the 1901 census.

From the 1891 census, it is clear that Yves Jehan had a sister Louise (17 in 1891, born France); they were both in the same household as (and described as brother and sister of) François and Marie Crézé (RG 12/4700, f.6). On the 1911 census you will see that François and Marie Crézé are more specific about their birthplace.

Again in 1911, you will find François 'Jehan' and family listed with their name spelled Géhan.

I believe from looking at various censuses that a Marie Louise Morin (née Jehan) may be another sibling of Yves et al. The Jersey Heritage Trust site mentioned above has details of her Second World War registration card, giving her place of birth as 'Balat Pestevien (Bulat-Pestivien), Côtes du Nord, France'.

SusanI

Hi
    Jehan is still a common surname in Guernsey. As the local Guernsey French patois was still widely spoken in the island when your great grandfather was born it is not surprising that his father and mother have French names.

It did not become law to register a birth in Guernsey until 1839 and therefore we have to rely on the parish registers before that date. The Jehans have been in Guernsey for many years!

Often the newpapers of the time will include articles on families emigrating from the Island.

I can help with your enquiry, please message me.

Susan

Stewart Hill

Default Lookup at Jersey Archive

Hi

If you want anything looked up at Jersey Archive let me know.

Incidentally, Jersey certificates are the same as UK ones. One thing though is that although Civil Registration in Jersey started in 1842, it did not become law to actually register BMD's until 1861!!

Also another useful site for WW1 is https://www.greatwarci.net/

Stewart