Starting to feel at home

Default Mentioned in despatches - Why?

My father-in-law was mentioned in despatches after the bombing of Biggin Hill during the Battle of Britain. At this time he was ground crew. Does anyone know if there tends to be more information in the squadron records as to why he got this mention? Or how I may find more details?

anamarja

If someone was 'mentioned in despatches', that was also mentioned in the London Gazette. If you look at issues of the Gazette, you will probably find more information.

Ultramum

There seems to be a lot of info on this site:

https://www.
    raf.mod.uk/Bob1940/

Starting to feel at home

Default Mentioned in Despatches

I am trying to find out why my late Father-in-Law was mentioned in despatches. The notice was posted in the London Gazette on 17th March 1941. At that time he would have been ground crew with 32 (or briefly in Sept 1940 with 79) squadron. Probably at Biggin Hill. I intend to search the squadron records but would like to narrow it down a little.

Can anyone tell me the average time between the actual event and the mention appearing in the London Gazette? Is there any other way to find out why he received this mention?

I see I have asked this question before.... but am still searching! The Gazette doesn't give any information as to why he was mentioned.
    Last edited by DebbieLou; 29-12-2012 at 4:41 PM. Reason: Posted previously

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieLou View Post
    I see I have asked this question before.... but am still searching!
    I have merged the two threads so as to keep all the information in one place.

grandmasheila

Hi, I am having the same problem about my father who was MiD on 4th May 1954. I have a copy of the London Gazette entry but have contacted many organisations and can get no further information.
    I hope you have managed to get some since you posted this in 2012.
    Sheila

Reputation beyond repute

I am having the same problem about my father who was MiD on 4th May 1954
    It's been two years so I daresay DebbieLou has cracked it.

Have you read the Research Guide and followed up the suggestions? For example National Archives series WO373?

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...tails/r/C14577

Note that the system changed in the mid 1950s. I don't know what that would mean for 1954.