suelesterry

Red face Harrison Norbury & Roston Derbyshire

Hi
    I am researching my Harrison ancestors from Norbury and Roston in Derbyshire.
    I`ve hit a brickwall with my 3 x great grandfather William Harrison born 1797 who married Margaret Nash b 1811 Marston.
    I think Williams parents were William Harrison and Elizabeth Keeling but am not certain. Can anybody confirm this and does anybody have any information on siblings?
    I`d also be interested to hear from anyone else who has Harrison ancestors from Norbury
    Regards
    Sue

bibliojunkie

Welcome to the forums Sue. I gather the information re William’s birth in 1797 is an extracted IGI entry. Have you been to the county record office at Matlock to look at the Norbury parish records? According to the catalogue they have:

Baptisms 1686 - 1981
    Banns 1824 -1919
    Marriages 1686 - 1980
    Burials 1689 - 1912

You may be lucky and find the records contain more information than the IGI index to help you get you further back.

Ali

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Sue, Pilot Search have the baptism of William Harrison 17 Sep 1797 Father Willm & Elizh (sic) batch no.C05874-2
    NORBURY AND ROSTON,DERBY,ENGLAND.
    Also :
    John 12 apr 1795,..Joseph 13 sep 1795,..John 18 may 1799,..Elizabeth 17 jan 1802,..Thos 19 feb 1804.

No death found for a John, to explain two Baptisms.
    Perhaps they are yours. Parents marriage not found.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

suelesterry

Hi and thanks for the replies
    I haven`t been to Matlock but must do.
    I have found a marriage for a William Harrison and Elizabeth Keeling in August 1793 in Norbury which I think could be the one.
    I`ve also found numerous children christened in Norbury with parents. William and Elizabeth Harrison
    27-12-1785 Mary
    08-06-1788 Ann
    25-09-1791 Catharine
    21-09-1793 Joshua
    12-04-1795 John
    13-09-1795 Joseph
    17-09-1797 WILLIAM
    18-05-1799 John
    17-01-1802 Elizabeth
    19-02-1804 Thomas (probable burial 1826 Norbury)
    04-09-1808 Mary
    13-02-1814 Joseph

They all can`t be their`s surely (some were born before the suspected marriage)
    Also I`ve found a birth of Elizabeth Keeling in Norbury in 1758 so she would be too old to be the parent of some of the above.

If I go to Matlock and look at Parish records would they give the mother`s maiden name at a christening or is it all just pot luck.

I`d been hoping that I would be extremely lucky and someone else might have been researching the same Harrison line

Kind regards
    Sue

Oh my Sue:...
    12-04-1795 John..13-09-1795 Joseph
    methinks some sorting is deinitely needed.
    Have you come upon any other Family with same connections to help sort this one out?

(some were born before the suspected marriage)
    It did happen!..still does.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by suelesterry View Post
    If I go to Matlock and look at Parish records would they give the mother`s maiden name at a christening or is it all just pot luck.
    Before 1813 (when pre-printed baptism/burial registers were introduced) the amount of detail entered depends largely on the whim of the clergyman (or in a few exceptional cases the requirements of the diocese). Have a look at our own webpages for some examples.

Normally you will not get a mother's maiden name in an Anglican baptism record unless the parents were unmarried. But you may get an occupation, or place of residence, or a date of birth, or some other detail that will help you sort out the families.

In any case, it's always advisable to see the original record, if you can.

suelesterry

Hi
    I have come connected with a descendent of one of William b1797`s maybe brothers but they had made less sense of it than me.
    Don`t think it helps when every Harrison family seemed to have a William in it.