Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Free Spirit

Question Cordwainers in Ireland?

I am searching for MICHAEL COYNE of whom I have no other information other than what is written on his son's marriage certificate in 1865.

The marriage certificate of his son WILLIAM COYNE, 10 February 1865 states that his fathers name was MICHAEL COYNE (deceased), Cordwainer.

WILLIAM COYNE was born in Galway Ireland between 1834 and 1842.

I assume that MICHAEL COYNE was also born in Ireland. My specific question to this forum is:

Were there cordwainers in Ireland in the 1820's ++ or were they only in England?

Thank you

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Free Spirit View Post
    My specific question to this forum is:

Were there cordwainers in Ireland in the 1820's ++ or were they only in England?
    The term "cordwainer" refers to someone who made shoes and other goods from leather and has been known as such in England since at least the 12th century. So, your chap was a shoemaker and yes, they were in Ireland at the time you mention.

You may find, though, that the son gave the occupation a different name for the marriage certificate so that it looked "better". That happened more often than you would have thought.......

Free Spirit

Thank you.

I will keep searching and take on board what you have said re the possible fabrication of the occupation.