Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    What is a penitent?
    See https://www.
    stgite.org.uk/magdalenhospital.html

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    See https://www.
    stgite.org.uk/magdalenhospital.html
    It could be possible that Amelia 'attended' the Magdalen hospital but Richard must either have completely forgiven Amelia if he knew about her past or Amelia never revealed her past to him. That's if Amelia did stay there, it's just a shame that we can only speculate as I'm doubtful there's any records surviving, if there ever was any.

RobinC

I think it might be an idea to wrap this thread up as I think I've located Amelia in her early life, even if it doesn't make for the most pleasant of reading but hey, we can't change the past, only research it.

I think it's unlikely that the identity of Amelia's parents will ever be known but my last question on the subject is how would she be able to give the occupation of her 'father' at her marriage but not his name? She gives the occupation as 'Blacksmith'.

malcolm99

I think it might be an idea to wrap this thread up as I think I've located Amelia in her early life, even if it doesn't make for the most pleasant of reading but hey, we can't change the past, only research it.
    It could be possible that Amelia 'attended' the Magdalen hospital but Richard must either have completely forgiven Amelia if he knew about her past or Amelia never revealed her past to him. That's if Amelia did stay there, it's just a shame that we can only speculate as I'm doubtful there's any records surviving, if there ever was any.
    Fair enough, but I've never been convinced that the A.C. in the Magdalen Hospital was her anyway - why is A.C. from Deptford and yet Amelia consistently says in the later censuses that she was from Bethnal Green? - and, as you say, what about the 'Blacksmith'? I suspect she was orphaned and is hiding deeper in the 1861 census (or absent altogether).

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    Fair enough, but I've never been convinced that the A.C. in the Magdalen Hospital was her anyway - why is A.C. from Deptford and yet Amelia consistently says in the later censuses that she was from Bethnal Green? - and, as you say, what about the 'Blacksmith'? I suspect she was orphaned and is hiding deeper in the 1861 census (or absent altogether).
    I admit the evidence is circumstantial but does seem possible considering that Richard was quite close in 1861, however, how long would Amelia have attended a school for?

I'm guessing that her education wouldn't have gone on much longer than the age of 16 years of age?

RobinC

Here's Amelia in 1901 (Richard died in 1900):

Class: RG13; Piece: 57; Folio: 50; Page: 47

Census reference copyright of TNA

Amelia's place of birth is "Not known" according to this census so this begs the question, did Richard make up a place of birth for Amelia for the 1871/1881/1891 censuses?

But then in 1911, Amelia is staying with her daughter Mary & family and gives her birthplace as Bethnal Green again so I'm not sure what's going on?! Although Bethnal Green is spelt 'Bethnall'.

RobinC

One final thought, if Amelia was A.C. from the 1861 census, would she have been in trouble with the police for soliciting?

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    This may be your Amelia Cooksey; admitted to Princes Road Workhouse on [4 Oct?] 1849 and discharged (to Norwood?) on 10 Oct 1849. She is the last entry at the bottom of the page.
    Now is this a breakthrough? There are 2 burials in St Mary Lambeth parish on 11th September 1849:

1. George Cooksey of 1 Hope Place, age 34.
    2. Elizabeth Cooksey of 1 Hope Place, age 1.

Amelia orphaned?

There’s also a Mary Cooksey of Bird Street, age 30. Buried St Mary Lambeth 30th November 1849 and James Cooksey of 16 Bird Street buried 1st April 1850, age ‘und[er?] 1’ – mother & brother to Amelia?

There seem to be are others in this area but I think this is enough for now.

malcolm99

...and then this

1851 census (HO107 Piece: 1572 Folio: 738 Page: 6) 16, Bird Street, Lambeth:

Mary TILLY, Head, Widow, age 48, Pauper Laundress, born Westminster, Middlesex
    George TILLY, son, age 11, Scholar, born Lambeth
    Henry TILLY, son, age 9, Scholar, born Lambeth
    Mary Ann TILLY, daughter, age 5, Scholar, born Lambeth
    George COOKSEY, Grandson, age 6, Scholar, born Clerkenwell, Middlesex

(Record in care of TNA, Crown Copyright).

malcolm99

In the 1851 census schedule Hope Place and Bird Place are adjacent so there must be some sort of connection (I have my own theory!).

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast