Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default A boy surnamed "Toy" @ Weston School, Weston

What can anyone tell me about this school in Somerset?

A very distant relative was there as a scholar in 1871. He was 15. He was from Helston in Cornwall. His father - a widower - died in 1865-6, however appeared to be well off [even though I can't find anything in the probate calendar] so it would appear to be a private/boarding school for boys.

Thanks

malcolm99

Hello Colin

Have a look at this discussion. There's some interesting pointers: https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...-Weston-School

Colin Rowledge

Now that I have information on the school, I want to concentrate on what, to me anyway, is interesting about his father. Can this be moved to the Cornwall forum, so that I can expand upon it?

Thanks

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Moved as requested.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Moved as requested.
    Thank you, Kerrywood.

He died January 24, 1911 in Redruth. He was aged 55. According to the Probate Calendar of 1917, he was a Mine Agent and lived at 12 Plainangwarry, Redruth, Cornwall.

My understanding is that the tin mining industry was in decline at that time, so what would a Mine Agent be involved in?

Can anyone tell me about the area of his residence around the time of his death?

Thanks

Knowledgeable and helpful

Now we are a World Heritage site there is lots of info about Cornish Mining try this:
    www. cornish-mining.org.uk/

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    He died January 24, 1911 in Redruth. According to the Probate Calendar of 1917, he was a Retired Mine Agent and lived at 12 Plainangwarry, Redruth, Cornwall.

Thanks
    The information above was taken from the National Probate Calendar and was dated 1917. His estate was probated in Bodmin on June 16 and was in the amount of 185 pounds. Administration with Will was granted to Edith Solomon wife of Joseph Solomon.

I was curious to find out who else was living at the above address at the time of the 1911 census, so I did an address search on FMP however the address doesn't show up, so that has left me hanging.

A John Toy married Ellen Tresidder in 1877 in Helston. Between 1878 and 1900 yhey had 8 children - 6 girls and 2 boys. All children were alive at the time of the 1911 census. None of the children were named Edith. On the 1911 census, Ellen described herself as Head and Widow, so this fits the time of death for John. If I have the right person, he was aged 55. FreeBMD on A. has a death in Jan-Mar. q. 1911 in Helston of a John Toy aged approx 57, however there is an indication that 'no image is available'.

The census records for the years 1881-1901 show John as a Tin Miner in Helston, so become a Mine Agent later seems reasonable.

I don't have John's death certificate, so the only thing I don't know is who the informant was at the time of registration, but it is likely to be someone at the place of his death.

Where do I go with this now as I feel somewhat stuck!!

Colin

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Colin Rowledge,
    Go sit on the naughty step for twenty-four hours.
    You've been told before about making statements without proof.
    Until you have the death certificate, you simply can not make statements like
    He died January 24, 1911 in Redruth. He was aged 55.
    The brutal truth is that in March quarter 1911 there are death registrations for two John Toys.
    One in Redruth, aged 74.
    One in Helston aged 57.

One fits the registration district, the other one is nearer the correct age

Redruth (the town) is in Redruth registration district.
    These are the places in Helston registration district.

To view images on FreeBMD when no direct link is shown go to the home page and click on 'view images'.
    You end with a list of page numbers beginning 0341, and ending 0386. At a guess 'To' would be about halfway through those pages, so click on one between about 0360-0365 and then adjust accordingly. (Though if you have a sub to Ancestry or FMP it of course much easier just to check on their site. )

This 1901 census for a John Toy might make matters clearer.
    RG13/2240 f 52 p 13

(Census care of TNA and Crown copyright.)
    Pam
    Last edited by MarkJ; 10-03-2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Added a few words cor clarification.

Colin Rowledge

I am suitably chagrined - told off - and now wearing my dunce's cap.

Playing with the wrong TOY I suppose.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Cornwall is a large County in England and I forgot my Cornish geography [which after not being there in over 50 years] is easily done.

There are just too many family's with the same surname, same given names and similar birth dates and deaths that I sat and looked at my paperwork and said "OK this fits".

I have Tresidder marrying Odgers; Odgers marrying Ball after marrying Tresidder; Toy marrying Tresidder etc. ad nauseum and with a family of my mum's family Golley living on Plain an Gwarry marrying a Solomon in 1917 it all seemed to fit in my confused state of mind.

I was only trying to keep the wolf away and stave off buying more certificates - but I guess that is fool-hardy.

Am I forgiven?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast