sundial

Default WW1 Medal Record - British Red Cross

Hello everyone,

This is my first post.

My relative served in the British Red Cross in WW1. On the medal record the theatre of war is shown as (1). Does anyone know what this represents?

Many thanks
    Sundial

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi sundial, and welcome to the BG forums!

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    My relative served in the British Red Cross in WW1. On the medal record the theatre of war is shown as (1). Does anyone know what this represents?
    Probably Western Europe.

Have a read of this page for information about abbreviations on medal index cards.

sundial

Hi Kerrywood,

Many thanks for your swift reply. And thank you for the link, which has proved most useful. It provides the answer to one of my other questions which was why, when I can find a medal record, can't I find the corresponding service record; the answer is apparently that 60% of WWI service records were destroyed by bombing in WWII.

Thanks again

sundial

Sue Light

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Hi Kerrywood,
    It provides the answer to one of my other questions which was why, when I can find a medal record, can't I find the corresponding service record; the answer is apparently that 60% of WWI service records were destroyed by bombing in WWII
    In this case, it's nothing to do with the WW2 bombing. If your relative was with the British Red Cross Society, he/she could have been awarded medals, but there would be no service record, as all BRCS staff were civilians and not military personnel. Any service details that survive will be held by the BRCS archives - link below. Although the page appears to refer just to women, they do also hold some records for the men who served with them during the Great War.

BRCS Archives

Sue

sundial

Default WW1 Medal Record - British Red Cross

Hi Sue and many thanks for taking the time to provide me with the info and link, which I will follow up.

All the best
    Sundial

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Light View Post
    In this case, it's nothing to do with the WW2 bombing. If your relative was with the British Red Cross Society, he/she could have been awarded medals, but there would be no service record, as all BRCS staff were civilians and not military personnel. Any service details that survive will be held by the BRCS archives - link below. Although the page appears to refer just to women, they do also hold some records for the men who served with them during the Great War.

BRCS Archives

Sue