Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Probably simple questions but cannot resolve

While going through my dad's papers, I came across a letter from the Army Records Centre, dated April 2, 1976.

It, of course, outlined his service record during W.W.2. It also provided details relating to involvement after May 2 1946 when his Service with the Colours ended.

Here are the details:
    May 2,1946 - Transferred to Class Z [T] Reserve
    Feb. 10, 1954 - Transferred to Army General Reserve, Group P
    Jun. 30, 1959 - Discharged from Reserve Liability - Cause of Discharge - Navy, Army and Air Forces Act 1959.

After the end of the war, was involvement in the Reserves voluntary or compulsory?

Why, after almost 8 years in the Class Z [T] Reserve, would a person be transferred to the Army General Reserve, Group P? What was Group P?

Hopefully someone can provide answers to the above.

Colin

Coromandel

There is an explanation of Class P and Class Z Reserves in this article about First World War reservists: https://www.
    1914-1918.net/reserve.htm

but I don't know if the same terminology applied later.

P.S. From https://www.
    pbarrett.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Memoirs/13.htm it appears that being in Class Z(T) just after the Second World War did not involve anything more than being on standby: the author says (in April 1946) 'I was transferred to Army Reserve Class Z(T), which meant I was a civilian again unless another emergency arose.'

Richard1955

Classes P consisted of men

- ‘whose services are deemed to be temporarily of more value to the country in civil life rather than in the Army’

- and who were not lower than C iii medically

- and as a result of having served in the Army or TF would, if discharged, be eligible for a pension on the grounds of disability or length of service.

Men in Classes P were, for the purposes of pay, allowances, gratuity and pension treated as if they been discharged on the date of their transfer to Class P i.e. they did receive money from the Army.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1955 View Post
    Classes P consisted of men

- ‘whose services are deemed to be temporarily of more value to the country in civil life rather than in the Army’

- and who were not lower than C iii medically

- and as a result of having served in the Army or TF would, if discharged, be eligible for a pension on the grounds of disability or length of service.

Men in Classes P were, for the purposes of pay, allowances, gratuity and pension treated as if they been discharged on the date of their transfer to Class P i.e. they did receive money from the Army.
    So, if I read this correctly, Dad was in "the Service of King/Queen and Country" for a period of time that commenced on October 18, 1938 and ended with his discharge from Class P on June 30, 1959. A total of almost 21 years.

Confirmation would be appreciated

Richard1955

Hi Colin
    No. He left the Army on 2nd May 1946 and was a paid civilian from that date and then from 1956 entitled to an Army pension.

Colin Rowledge

Hi Colin
    No. He left the Army on 2nd May 1946 and was a paid civilian from that date and then from 1956 entitled to an Army pension.
    So his "active service' ended in 1946 and until 1959 he was in 'reserve' and unpaid. Thus his pension entitlement would have commenced in 1959. On what basis would it have been calculated and would it have continued upon emigration to Canada in 1963?

Richard1955

Hi Colin
    Nearly there.
    So his "active service' ended in 1946 and until 1959 he was in 'reserve' and paid. Thus his pension entitlement would have commenced in 1959.
    His pension would be calculated based on the rank he achieved in 1946 and possibly the number of years he served in the Army.
    His pension wouldn't stop when he emigrated to Canada.
    I believe you can get a copy of your father's service record and the details of the pension from the National Archives.

Coromandel

I believe you can get a copy of your father's service record and the details of the pension from the National Archives.
    Unfortunately for genealogists, post-1920 Army service records are not at TNA, but still with the Ministry of Defence. Copies can be obtained by next-of-kin (or those acting with consent of next-of-kin), for a fee. For details see https://www.
    veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

Richard1955

Hi Colin
    I should check your father's paperwork again. You should find his service record and details of his pension
    with the stuff you mention above.
    You could also try 'googling' his regiment.

Good luck
    Richard

CanadianCousin

Your father (like mine) would still have been entitled to a military pension after emigrating to Canada, but if I remember correctly, British veterans living in Canada do/did not receive indexed cost-of-living increases to their pension payments. My father passed away several years ago, so I'm not sure if that still applies.

Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast