PSzelewski52

Default DP Camp Windlestone Hall, Co Durham

I hope I am in the right place to brave an enquiry with this very knowledgable community.
    I have been looking for information on the Displaced Person's Camp at Windlestone Hall, where my father was sent to after the end of WW2. I know that it had accommodated prisoners of war prior to being used as a DP camp. I have several photos of Dad and wanted to be able to share them with other families who might have also had a relation who was there. I have already searched
    www.
    dpcamps.org/britishZone.html,
    www.
    wartimememories.co.uk/pow/harperley.html,
    I saw the article listing every dp camp in Britain, too it doesn't give me any more information.
    Windlestone Hall used to be the home of Anthony Eden, has been a school and seems to have suffered some neglect over the years.
    Does anyone have anything to throw some light on this part of my late father's history?
    Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Mutley; 13-05-2011 at 7:04 PM. Reason: Sites ask for Donations. Please read BG Terms and Conditions

Mutley

The Northern Echo has a story about a reporter researching the camp during the war years. It was written in 2006. She seems to have unearthed quite a bit of information from several sources. The article does not say how much information she has after 1945.
    There is an email address so it might be worth a shot or try contacting the Northern Echo.
    www.
    thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/775862.were_female_nazis_kept_within_these_walls/

PSzelewski52

Thank you Mutely,
    I do remember seeing an article/TV short about the possibility of female nazis being kept during the time it was used as a POW camp.Thank you for the link to the northern echo, I will follow it up out of interest.

Mutley

You are welcome, they may even take up the story seeing as you have photographs.
    Good Luck

PSzelewski52

Just to keep you in the loop I have contacted the researcher and am waiting to hear back.

PSzelewski52

Looks like the newspaper and the original author are no longer interested. Still not heard anything despite following a few different leads. I'll let it rest here and try again another time. Thanks everyone for your interest.