Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    YvonneC

Thanks for that.
    I've looked at findmypast, unfortunately I've already used my 14day free trial on this site.
    Do you mean to purchase 'pay as you go credits' , 60 credits @ £6.95 ?
    The only possible match I can find for Frederick = British Army Service Records 1760-1913, which gives dob as 1868 & place Tunbridge Wells, Kent but I'm not sure if this is him ???? Which section are you looking on & exactly what info did you enter please ?
    Sorry to be such a pain !!!!

Thanks Yvonne

YvonneC

Cornwell - Reginald Percy
    I'm wondering if Reg died prior to the end of 1946. The reason I say this is because a grandson of Fred & Adeline was born Q4 1946 & at Adeline's request he was given a middle name of Reginald. To my way of thinking, if Reg was still alive wouldn't she have wanted the middle name to be Kenneth, as he died WW2 in 1940 ??
    I hope that makes sense !!!
    I have no proof of his date of death & appreciate it is only ..... if, buts & maybes ....... but may prove helpful ?????

Yvonne

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneC View Post
    Do you mean to purchase 'pay as you go credits' , 60 credits @ £6.95 ?
    You have to pay to access the records, either by subscribing or by purchasing credits. Once you have located the correct military record ...

• viewing the transcript costs 5 credits (note: the transcript is a brief description)
    • viewing the images costs 30 credits

The only possible match I can find for Frederick = British Army Service Records 1760-1913, which gives dob as 1868 & place Tunbridge Wells, Kent but I'm not sure if this is him ????
    You have found the correct record if it says Tunbridge Wells, Sussex.

• Click the Military Tab
    • Click the Search button -> British Army Service Records 1760-1913
    • Type in the name Frederick CORNWELL
    • Type 1868 in the birth date box and select exact

I get two results, one of which is ...

CORNWELL Frederick 1868 Tunbridge Wells, Sussex Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

If you view the images, on image #10 there is a marriage record. He married Adeline Howis in 1891.

Sound like your Frederick?

YvonneC

Many thanks for that.
    Yes, Fred & Adeline were married in 1891 (10/5/1891) @ Farnborough.

Yvonne

YvonneC

Update re Reginald Percy CORNWELL
    I have found 96 pages (no that is not a typing error I really do mean 96 !!) on the Australian Archives about him. It would appear the 1913 sailing mentioned in my first message is him. I now have his exact date of birth & death + his wife's first name. I now intend to concentrate my research out in Aust & I will place a new message on Roots - hopeful someone the other side of the world may now be able to come up with more info.
    Thanks to all who have helped with this.
    + note to Olliecat - I've downloaded Father Fred's Army papers, thanks.

Bye Yvonne

YvonneC

CORNWELL, Kenneth Charles Howis - returning to the younger of these 2 brothers. I have still not been able to trace any record of his marriage to Agnes Amelia or whether they had any children. Can anyone help please ??

+ I now have a new query on another of the Cornwell clan - William Cecil - which I'm posting as a new query.

Yvonne

malcolm99

I have still not been able to trace any record of his marriage to Agnes Amelia or whether they had any children.
    Hello Yvonne

This is probably her death:Agnes A Cornwell, age 73, Jun Q 1950, Ilford, vol.5a page 325 and the Death Certificate may give you the name of a child as the informant.

There are 3 or 4 Cornwells living in Ilford in 1950 according to the London Telephone Directory.

malcolm99

Looking at this cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2190012 it looks as though Kenneth had been in the Indian Army for some time - & note that he apparently had Indian nationality. I suspect there's a good chance they married in India.

It might be worth checking Indian Army records. There may also be a clue in Agnes’s residence which presumably will also be on the 1940 Probate Administration.

YvonneC

Hi Malcolm - if this is the death rec for Agnes, she would have been born c1877 making her approx 20years older than Kenneth ??
    I've tried looking at CWGC's casualty rec as you have suggested but I am unable to access it ! Have you managed to find any info about him on it, if so, would you be kind enough to email this to me if I give you my address ?? I had previously found, on CWGC, a photo of his grave + death details. This also says he has Indian nationality, I have queried this with the site & been adv the nationality refers to the nationality of the force served in rather than the person themselves - confusing I know !!!!!
    I've also tried searching for Indian army recs but again without any success, one site quotes £30 - I really can't afford to incur any more costs in our family research. Do you have any ideas where I could try please ?
    Sorry about all the questions but I need HELP !
    Many thanks
    Yvonne

malcolm99

I've tried looking at CWGC's casualty rec as you have suggested but I am unable to access it !
    This is it:

Name: CORNWELL, KENNETH CHARLES HOWIS
    Initials: K C H
    Nationality: Indian
    Regiment/Service: Indian Army Ordnance Corps Age: 43
    Date of Death: 01/07/1940 Service No: 6278251
    Additional information: Son of Frederick and Adeline Cornwell; husband of Agnes Amelia Cornwell, of Aylesford, Kent.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: 8. K. 1.
    Cemetery: KIRKEE WAR CEMETERY

**That means ‘Sub Conductor’ – see ‘Conductor (Army)’ in Wikipedia

Because of his high rank (and his age), Kenneth must have been in the Army (British or Indian) for quite some time and I’m sure a search for his military record would reveal all. There must be an expert on the Forum who can advise - might be worth starting a new Post for this.

As for Agnes Amelia I’m sure you’re probably right about her: she does seem a bit old!

I’m intrigued to know why Kenneth apparently chose Leslie as his next-of-kin (or equivalent – see Thread 5) rather than his wife who was obviously still alive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast