Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sandgrown

Default 1901 CENSUS LOOK-UP FOR BURTON-ON-TRENT

Robert Hall (born 1864, St. Anne's, Lancashire) with his wife Eliza (born 1863, Croston ?, Leicestershire) and son William (born 1889, Hanbury, Staffs) lived in the Burton District in 1901. Did Robert and Eliza have other children living with them in 1901?

Thanks for your help.

Sandgrown

sandgrown

Hello "notanotherminer" - many thanks for the census look-up. Since Robert Hall was a coachman is it possible from the census to guess who is employer was? Perhaps the Halls were living on or near an estate. Maybe another proximate census entry was that of his employer.

Sandgrown

sandgrown

hello "notanotherminer" - I have them in 1911 back in St. Anne's having taken over the lease to a large farm on the Clifton estate previously farmed by his father and his brother, both deceased. Robert Hall has been described as "haughty" (thought he was a "cut-above") by his St. Anne's farming contemporaries. I am trying to understand where he picked up his alleged demeanour. I also need to trace his wife. Eliza Mackley, back to 1871 to investigate her roots. I have her in 1881 as a visitor ("dressmaker") with the Nicholls family at 7, Rycroft Street, Spittlegate Houghton and Walton in Lincolnshire. This was in Grantham District where Robert and Eliza were married in 1886. How Robert came to be in Grantham is a mystery.

Thanks again.

Sandgrown

sandgrown

"notanotherminer" - I have found Eliza, aged 8, in the 1871 census in Grantham District presumably living with Eliza E. , aged 21. Interesting. Do you have access to the 1871 census for the household details?

Thanks.

Sandgrown

sandgrown

As tenant farmer Robert would have inherited the farm working capital (not the land which was owned by the Clifton family) from his brother and father before him. Robert was the eldest. His younger brother Joseph would have taken over from their father in 1898 because he had stayed at home and worked the farm with his father, whereas Robert had left home. The youngest of three brothers, William James, was still living at home and perhaps had a claim to the farm lease. Maybe Joseph or his father wrote a will in favour of Robert. I shall check.

Sandgrown

sandgrown

"notanotherminer" - thanks for the 1871 census details. So Croxton Kerrial is near Grantham and perhaps just over the Leics border. The Eliza E. must be a relative living elsewhere in Grantham District.

Sandgrown

bibliojunkie

Hi sandgrown. I thought this family sounded familiar. A couple of years ago I was looking for a Nellie Coleman with Leicestershire connections. As you probably know, Robert’s son William George married a Nellie Coleman in Bolton (QJune 1915 8c 946) and he was killed in action in 1917. His Nellie is not mine.

Graham, I think Robert’s father was also Robert born c1840. If I have the right family, he married Margaret Singleton (widow of farmer Joseph) in 1864. In 1871 she has her four sons by Joseph living with her plus her children by Robert senior at West End Farm, Fylde, Lancs. Ref: RG10/4221/16/4 (Crown Copyright)

Ah, have just checked the 1861 census and Margaret and Joseph are at West End Farm. Perhaps local gossip made much of Robert (?gardener) getting his feet under the table very quickly after Margaret’s husband died. Thus, when his son Robert took over, the gossips had a field day. Pure supposition on my part!

Ali

sandgrown

Thanks "bibliojunkie" for sharing William George's marriage to Nellie Coleman which I would have missed otherwise. I was aware that he died in action in 1917 from a memorial inscription in Lytham St. Anne's. Yes, widow Margaret Singleton was very pregnant when she married Robert Hall but, in her defense, she had been widowed several years and Robert was working just across the lane.
    "notanotherminer" - Robert was not connected to Leicestershire except by marriage. I still need to check for St. Anne's, Lancashire wills around 1900.

Cheers.

Sandgrown

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by sandgrown View Post
    I still need to check for St. Anne's, Lancashire wills around 1900.

There was a grant of administration on 02 Nov 1898 of the effects of Robert Hall of Head-room Gate-farm, St. Anne's-on-the-Sea, coal merchant and farmer. Administration went to Margaret Hall, widow

Brick wall demolition expert!

There was also a grant of probate on 02 Dec 1903 of the effects of Joseph Hall of Headroom Gate-farm, St. Anne's-on-the-Sea, farmer. Probate was granted to William James Hill, coal merchant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast