Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by david kauffman View Post
    Hi Olliecat, Thanks for your reply.Aaron Kauffman was born at the address on 7th July 2008.
    Do you mean 1908?

Do you have Aaron's birth certificate David. That should give you his mum's maiden name.

david kauffman

Hi Olliecat,
    i have a copy of the birth certificate which gives Annie's surname as Sipplis and now information from Charles, birth details as spelt Cepres.

Quote Originally Posted by david kauffman View Post
    Hi Olliecat,
    i have a copy of the birth certificate which gives Annie's surname as Sipplis and now information from Charles, birth details as spelt Cepres.
    Hi

Then perhaps that marriage in 1907 is a possibility ...

Marriage Jun 1907 Mile End 1c 648
    KAUFMAN Louis
    KOPMAN Louis
    CYPRES, Annie
    ROSE, Esther
    MALINOFSKY Abraham
    RALINOFSKY Abraham

If you obtained the marriage certificate, this would give you their father's names, and then we would be able to look for them with their parents in the census.

When was Charles born? Also, what was Louis' occupation on the birth certificates?

Coromandel

Hello again David

The family seems to be being rather elusive in 1911! Once the names (and occupations) of Louis' and Annie's fathers are known, we should (I hope) be able to find them in 1901 and so answer your question about where in Europe they were from.

As Olliecat has said, the next step is to get hold of a copy of the marriage certificate for Louis & Annie. You can do this online at https://www.
    direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Registeringlifeevents/Familyhistoryandresearch/Birthmarriageanddeathcertificates/DG_175628 (you'll need to register first).

You will need to quote the following:
    • names of the two parties as they appear in the index (i.e. Louis Kaufman and Annie Cypres, as shown in previous post)
    • year and quarter: the June quarter (April/May/June) of 1907
    • registration district: Mile End
    • volume number: 1c
    • page number: 648

Oh, and they need some money of course, £9.25 sterling per certificate
    The certificate should be dispatched within around 4 working days, and then once it has made its way to Adelaide we will be able to get back on the detective trail...

Name well known on Brit-Gen

In 1911, I believe the family is found in Mile End, enumerated as KOFFMAN. The schedule is specific about places of birth, which may be useful.
    RG14/1577 SN33 (reference to record held by TNA).

For copyright reasons we can't post details of 1911 census schedules on the forum. The census is available at a paysite

www.
    1911census.co.uk

and through a few subscription sites.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    In 1911, I believe the family is found in Mile End, enumerated as KOFFMAN.
    Brilliant, Kerrywood, especially since Aaron's first name was garbled in the transcription. However did you find them?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    However did you find them?
    I searched for all *FMAN in all of London, and then combed the results for known Jewish areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    especially since Aaron's first name was garbled in the transcription
    It's generally better to omit first names when searching for Jewish families, if you can.

Apart from the usual mistranscription issues, first names in Jewish families are subject to change because they are often ad hoc anglicisations of Hebrew names, especially among recently arrived immigrants.

david kauffman

HI Olliecat,
    i have ordered louis and annie's marriage certificate and cant wait to receive it to see their parents names, hopefully

cheers!, DK

david kauffman

hi Coromandel,
    i have ordered louis and annie's marriage certificate and cant wait to receive it to see their parents names, hopefully

cheers!, DK

That's great DK. Do let us know when you get the marriage cert and we'll see if we can trace the parents.

By the way, great find in the census Kerrywood.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast