Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Conn

Smile Mohamed Ali / BA THEIN

A marriage certificate from 1938 has just produced this wonderful (set of?) names to settle into my very English family tree, which is mainly based in and around London. Ruth Morgan married Mohamed Ali otherwise Ba Thein in August 1938. His address then was given as 5, Old Compton Street W.1 Their daughter A.... was born in November 1938 when they were living in Ealing. Ruth is named as Ruth Maud Ali Ba Thein on that birth certificate. I was put onto this family connection by someone who has no experience of family tree research and who I surface mailed once I had discovered her branch of the family. She very kindly replied with a very rough sketch of her family lines as she thought might be correct. In her sketch the name is just used as Ba Thein alone. In both certificates his occupation is given as a Variety Artist - he was 27 upon marriage. Totally intriguing! These certificates only arrived today so this is my first step in following this trail. Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 11-02-2011 at 9:37 PM. Reason: masked name of possibly living person

Richard1955

Hi Conn
    All very interesting names.
    Would be useful for you to look into the variety Artist thing. Perhaps your contact has some info.
    I have googled Ba Thein / Mohamed Ali /Variety Artist and get plenty to read through but I don't think it is anything that helps you.
    There are plenty of others with Ba Thein as a surname on facebook. May be related.
    Always worth googling names as you usually get results that include message boards from other genealogy sites.
    Good luck
    Richard

Coromandel

The 'Hiss & Boo' website gives advice on researching music hall & variety artistes: https://www.
    hissboo.co.uk/musichall_artistes.html. Some of the family history info there is rather out of date, so it may have been written some time ago. However, perhaps it will give you some ideas of where to look online. There is also a good links page on the Music Hall and Theatre History site, https://www.
    arthurlloyd.co.uk/index.html

From Google it appears that Ba Thein is a Burmese name?

Mutley

There is a death for a Ruth Maud Thein
    Birth: 22 May 1908
    Death: Sep 2002 - Caistor, Lincolnshire
    Age 94

Possible?

Mutley

There also a death for Mohamed Ali Ba Thein

Birth: 12 Mar 1911
    Death: Mar 1984 - Wrexham Maelor, Clwyd, Wales
    Age 73

The only one with anything like that name.

Reputation beyond repute

Birth: 12 Mar 1911
    The death certificate should also show the place of birth.

Conn

Thank you Richard. I have placed the name on some other sites as well to allow for plenty of google strikes. So far I am only getting my own one back, though! Still, it is early days. Sadly the contact has told me all they know so it will be me informing her of any succesful research. Yes, interesting how common the name of Ba Thein is, isn't it? I have also written off to several other possible places as well. Thanks again.

Conn

Many thanks. I have had a try at those links. The one from Hiss and Boo seems to be closed now, although I will look again when I have more time and Arthur Lloyd unfortunately says his data is not in that time frame. Yes, I thought that Burma seemed to be the origin of the name, too. If I can manage to find any more information then it might lead me back to Arthur Lloyd etc. so I have not given up hope.

Conn

Hello Mutley, yes, that is my Ruth Morgan. I had not yet found that index entry, have now sent for the death certificate, so many thanks. It should arrive by next weekend.

Conn

Again, thank you. I had already found that certificate and have sent for the certificate. I still have the daughter to search foras well, so there is more to be getting on with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast