Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Ig Roberts

Continuing the thread, albeit belatedly, and assuming that "Chalton" is probably "Charlton", I have discovered two possibilities for Gloucestershire; the village of Charlton which has been subsumed by Bristol Airport and the parish of Charlton in Tetbury. I note that part of the A1435 road near Tetbury is called Charlton Road and that there is a Charlton Hall in the vicinity of the town. I tend towards thinking that my great-great-grandmother came from Charlton in Tetbury for, apart from matrimonial reasons, there would be more reason for her to go to Witney for work, for example, than from Bristol.

Famous for offering help & advice

This caught my eye because my wife has ancestors from Witney (and Bampton), though none of your names rang a bell with her. Anyway, it occurred to me that there's also Charlton Kings, on the edge of Cheltenham. I don't know if it was ever referred to as just Charlton, but a (the?) main route from Cheltenham to Oxford and London passed through both there and Witney, so getting from one to the other wouldn't have been difficult.

Arthur

Ig Roberts

Hello Arthur,

Thanks very much for that suggestion. I go through Charlton Kings every Saturday but it had never occurred to me that it might be or might have been referred to just as Charlton.

Ig

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234