Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brett Cairns

When I reply to this thread I seem to send the reply to Pam Drake?? 2x
    I hope this one doesn't go there. She'll think I am !@#$%^.

I will post the " Forwards " seperately at a later date. There enough work here to keep me busy a while.

From the information that I have gleaned on the ngb.chebucto.org site I ( they ) have no reason to connect them.
    The " Mary Elizabeth Brett " with 4 brothers gives one reason to ponder.
    I have a letter written to my Grandmother Amelia ( " Minnie " ) Brett nee Amelia Manuel Forward 1874 - 1975 from Ambrose Brett. He signs it "cousin Ambrose ". This fellow is definately in the Moreton Harbour group.
    Thus I suspect a connection.

The spelling Britt/Brett seems somewhat interchangeable.
    The other Bretts in Nfld. seem to use mostly Brett.
    Edwards family in the third and fourth generation seem to have gradually changed to Brett.
    My Grandfather Edward James Brett 1870 - 1941 ---- his son my Uncle William John Brett was born Britt 1896 Twgt. John Britt, Edward 1804 's son John, Edward James' father, is referred both ways.

I would rather follow Edward Britt to his father Robert.
    The Dewlish connection seems perhaps distant.
    I have a great deal of information from my Uncle Arthur Brett ( b. Twgt. )1894 -1980 . He spent years discovering that it was Britt he was looking for not Brett.
    However nothing in this " stuff " is " written in stone " but on stone it is.

Thank you for taking an interest in my quest.
    Brett
    It is Edward Britt on the stone and in his Will.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Cairns View Post
    When I reply to this thread I seem to send the reply to Pam Drake?? 2x
    I hope this one doesn't go there. She'll think I am !@#$%^.
    Well I'm not sure what's happening there, perhaps a moderator could explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Cairns View Post
    I would rather follow Edward Britt to his father Robert.

It is Edward Britt on the stone and in his Will.
    Okey Dokey! I did have another brief search for possible father Robert and came across these marriages ...

• Marriage on 08 Jul 1798 at Wimborne Minster. By Licence. Robert BRETT to Catherine SYMS.
      Witnesses: John GEORGE Geo CHERRETT

• Marriage on 24 Mar 1808 at Wimborne Minster. After Banns. Robert BRETT to Mary CLENCH

(Dorset FHS)

I don't know if it's the same Robert on both these marriages. If you think these are good possibility for Robert as a parent of Edward, you should send for a copy of the the original parish register entries, to see if bachelor/widower status was recorded. Also, the first marriage was by licence and you could try and find the allegation/bond.

ps: I have been searching using both surname variations BRITT/BRETT

Sorry if I keep referring to Edward as Edward BRETT rather than BRITT. I'm guess I'm too idle to put BRETT/BRITT. Will do better.
    Last edited by olliecat; 06-02-2011 at 8:22 PM. Reason: Added last line/admonishment to self

Brett Cairns

Can you tell me the address' to send for these marriages ?

Thank you
    Brett

Well, I've been thinking about the best way you can view the original entries. I looked on family search to see if the marriages were there but I couldn't see them; which is a pity since you could have ordered the film from the nearest family search centre.

One option might be to contact the Dorset Archives (Dorset History Centre) and ask them to post you photocopies of the entries (provided they can find them.) You have the exact dates and the church, so they should just charge you a photocopy fee and possibly a minimum charge fee. It shouldn't cost very much. The overseas postage would probably cost more. Thus if you do decide to order by post, I would suggest you wait until you have more than two items to order.

Here is a link to the contact page of the Dorset History Centre

This page lists their services and copying charges.

My own tactic when contacting an archive is to build up a list of christenings/marriages etc. (with exact dates and church.) I then email the relevant archives to ask if they could send a quote for photocopying the entries. Different archives respond in different ways to this sort of request. Have a look at their enquiries page and see what you think.

Let's also see if anyone has any other suggestions.

Charles BRETT on 21 Oct 1799 at Wimborne Minster, Dorset. Son of Robert

Robert BRETT on 14 Nov 1802 at Wimborne Minster, Dorset. Son of Robert & Catharine

Edward BRETT on 05 Aug 1804 at Wimborne Minster, Dorset. Son of Robert

John BRETT on 05 Jun 1811 at Wimborne Minster, Dorset. Son of Robert & Mary. 2 years old

I thought I'd check the census, to see if I could see any of these BRETT/BRITT children. It occurred to me that if Edward did turn up in the UK census then that might place a spanner in the works for him being your Edward. Anyway, I could only find one Brett/Britt individual from Winborne in the census and that was John ...

1841: Class: HO107; Piece 295; Book: 8; Folio: 5; Page: 4; (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    In South St, Warehem, Dorset
    John Brett 32, brazier
    Jane Brett 31
    Maryann Brett 5
    Augusta Brett 3
    William Brett 9 mo
    all born in the county

1851: Class: HO107; Piece: 1856; Folio: 341; Page: 15; (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    In South St, Warehem, Dorset
    John Brett 41, brazier and tin plate worker, born Winborne, Dorset
    Jane Brett 40, born Winchester, Hampshire
    Mary J Brett 14, born Wareham, Dorset
    Agusta A Brett 12, born Wareham
    William J Brett 10, born Wareham
    Emily E Brett 8, born Wareham
    Ralph Brett 1, born Wareham
    Alfred Brett 5, born Wareham

There are a number of John Brett and Jane marriages. This one in Hampshire looks like a good possibility as the census indicates Jane was born in Hampshire ..

groom's name: John Brett
    bride's name: Jane Rose
    marriage date: 1835
    marriage place: Southampton, All Saints, Hampshire
    (from family search)

Of course we don't now as yet if John is a brother to your Edward. Also, the marriage date is long after Edward left for Newfoundland, so I wouldn't expect to see him as a witness to the marriage. However, the witnesses could be other relations and may provide clues. It's another possible item to add to your list.

Note: there are a number of children of the above John and Jane listed on family search if you wish to take a look for yourself.

Brett Cairns

Re: John Britt/ Brett
    The census ages fit nicely with the christening.

I am going to try and contact " Dorset Girl " ( post 8 ) re: Australian Bretts Ie: Mary Elizabeth Brett and her 4 brothers who settled in Nfld.

I still see Edward Britt 1804 as the only one of his father Robert's sons to have come to Nfld.

I will let you know if there is any info of use.

Thank you for the on going help.
    Brett

Brett Cairns

Hi: " Dorset Girl "

Assuming you are connected to the Britt/Brett 's of Dorset,can you shed any light on

"Jacob Vincent married Mary Elizabeth Brett from Dewlish and four of her brothers settled in Newfoundland " ( Alice Springs Australia ).

This is taken from a " Family tree of the Vincents of Newfoundland "

My question is do you have any knowledge of these brothers " given names " etc. ?

Thank You
    Brett

Dorset Girl

Hi Brett,

Sorry but I have no link to the family - I do a lot of checking of the Dorset OPC and your Brett name came up so I posted the link - wish I could be of more help. When you mention about the Newfoundland link you also mention Alice Springs, Australia - how does Alice Springs fit into the picture?

Marion

Brett Cairns

Hi Marion:

Thank you for answering.

The quote re: '' Mary Elizabeth Brett ' had an e-mail address by it that could not be sent.
    Alice Springs Au. was by it.
    Jacob's father George, born Dewlish Dorset, died in Victoria Au.
    Jacob's brother Issac who married Elizabeth Shorti Vincent died in Wagga Wagga, NSW Au.
    Henry Britt/Brett married Sarah Drake ( both of Dewlish ). They are the parents of " Mary Elizabeth Brett ".

' Jacob and Mary became a pioneering family in Victoria and Issac and Elizabeth did well in NSW ".

Thank You
    Brett

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast