Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sheila H

sheila H

Default sheila H

I have recently been given a family photograph album which has a picture of a memorial to Mary jane Allen. It is in Darlington West cemetery and has a large horse on the top. She was rmarried to Fred Allen circus proprietor.Ihave an account of her funeral and there were four small children Masters C. J. TH and AH. I'm trying to find where she fits into my family but cannot find her marriage to get her maiden name. She died in 1874 aged 32. Fred died in 1879 and is buried in Morpeth Northumberland where my family lived. Any ideas where I can look next would be much appreciated.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Could this be Fred and Mary in 1871?

1871: RG10 Piece: 5092 Folio: 94 Page: 31 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    Cross Street, St John, Newcastle On Tyne, Northumberland
    LYONS, William Hy, head, 31, scenic artist, Oldham Lancashire
    LYONS, Sarah, wife, 39, Easington, Durham
    ALLEN, Frederic, brother-in-law, 30, married, proprieter of circus, Derbyshire
    ALLEN, Mary Jane, sister, 29, married, Hanley Staffordshire
    ALLEN, Josephine, niece, 5, Nottinghamshire

pennydog

Fred and Mary Jane can be found on the 1871 census RG10/5092/94/31 crown copyright/care of TNA

The are at Cross Street, St. John, Newcastle on Tyne,

William Henry Lyons head b1840 a scenic artist born Oldham Lancs
    Sarah Lyon wife b1842 (I cannot make out the occupation) born Easington Durham
    FREDERIC ALLEN brother in law b1841 proprietor of circus born Derby
    MARY JANE ALLEN sister in law b1842 born Hanley Stafford
    JOSEPHINE ALLEN niece b1866 born Nottingham

the Allen's are bracketed together and "Visitors" written.

There are also 6 other lodger's at this address too

pennydog

Snap Ollicat!

There is a marriage of Frederick Allen to Mary Jane Lyons Jun 1861 Boston 7a 555

pennydog

This must be the birth reg. for Josephine Allen Dec 1865 Nottingham 7b 208

There is an advertisementin 'The Era' dated September 4 1870 for the Excelsior Circus, Gateshead, Proprietor Fred Allen.

Putting Excelsior Circus, Gateshead into Google revealed a site with links to a 1999 Northern Echo article. You need to pay to see the whole article but the appetiser reads:

MARY Jane Allen was the star of the Excelsior Circus, where her bareback horse riding was the most eagerly anticipated item on the bill.

But Mary Jane died, aged just 32, in 1874, and a large memorial stone was erected by her grieving husband in Darlington's West Cemetery.

Frederick Allen, Mary Jane's husband, was the proprietor of the Excelsior, which pitched its big top for at least a year in the 1870s on the Green Tree field behind the Friends Meeting House in Skinnergate, where Raby Street and Powlett Street are today. Those were practically pre-theatre days in Darlington - the Theatre Royal in Northgate (now the ABC cinema) was built in 1865, but its seats were so …
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Thought these names seemed vaguely familiar

See this thread Post 24
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

sheila H

Hi Ollicat
    Thanks for the information. Got something similar frompennydog. Now Iknow where she was born and can track her from there. Thanks

sheila H

Hi pennydog.
    Thanks for the information. Now I know where they married I can get her marriage certificate

sheila H

Hi Sue
    I have a copy of thia article. It was written in response to a requesr from me about mary Jane as my g.grandfather had a sister called born about the same time and I wondered if it was hbecause the photograph was in his grandaughter's album. But it wasn't. The article also said flowers had been placed on her grave until 1956. In the album are two more photographs of a ma n in what I presume are circus outfits . This might be Fred. The fact that he died in Morpeth where my grandfather was born makes it more intriquing. Thans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast