Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coromandel

Default "Apprentices of Great Britain" index

Hello

As mentioned by Peter Goodey in another thread, the Society of Genealogists' databases formerly on the Origins site are now appearing on FindMyPast.

One of these is the index to 'Apprentices of Great Britain 1710-1774'.

Here's what the SoG site says about it:

'The indentures of those apprenticed were private documents which have usually not survived. However, they were centrally registered in the period 1710-1810 when a tax was placed on them. The resulting records at the Public Record Office for the whole of the British Isles have been indexed by the Society 1710-1774 in two alphabetical series, 1710-1762 and 1762-1774. They usually give the name of the father of the apprentice up to about 1750, the name and trade of the master and the amount paid. The preface in volume 1 gives details of the system followed, the apparently double Christian names being firstly that of the child and secondly that of his father or mother. There are separate indexes to the masters.'

It takes some getting used to as variant spellings of names are grouped together, so you may not get the page you expect. Also the format of the index entries is abbreviated to save repetition. But well worth looking at nonetheless!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Just for the record, the data now on FMP (formerly on Origins) is a digitisation of typewritten abstracts from the records, made many years ago by the Society of Genealogists.

The original apprenticeship tax records are in series IR 1 at the National Archives. This research guide provides a useful introduction to them, and to other apprenticeship records.

This publication may also be of interest.

BeeE586

Anyone interested in the Cutlers' Apprentices of Hallamshire will find an index here. Masters are also indexed.

www.
    sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/index_cutlers.html

Eileen

usernick

Just a quick question regarding the actual IR1 records: If trying to find an Apprentice Indenture post-1750 (in my case 1759), would the actual record have any further details aside from that provided in the Indexes (as recently published on findmypast)?

If I'm understanding correctly, the apprentice's parents details (and, indeed current abode) are rarely entered post-1750?

Cheers,

Nick King

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The research guide linked in message #2 includes a table of the information that appears in a typical record in IR 1.

The original entries will vary according to the amount of detail originally supplied by the local tax collectors to the Stamp Office clerks.

But if the parent's name has not been transcribed in the index entry, I think it is unlikely to be found in the original record.

usernick

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    The research guide linked in message #2 includes a table of the information that appears in a typical record in IR 1.

The original entries will vary according to the amount of detail originally supplied by the local tax collectors to the Stamp Office clerks.

But if the parent's name has not been transcribed in the index entry, I think it is unlikely to be found in the original record.
    Thank you - much appreciated - I was contemplating a visit to Kew just to go and see that record - you've save me a trip!

Cheers,

Nick

David Benson

I have a difficulty with the search on this apprentice index. I'm looking for a name starting PRO - it gives me names of Pike - Pyke, so it should be withing that range. The index puts 'soundalike' names together so that the Pikes (Pykes) are all listed mixed up. The search 'thinks' it's found PRO within that page, but it hasn't. Any ideas how to get to the name I want to try and trace? There is no facility for skipping to the next page.

Coromandel

One of the matches in the initial list of search results should take you to the right page. It can be tricky to work out which, though! You have to try and guess which spellings of names are most likely to be the 'master' spellings under which variant spellings are listed.

For example, I see that there are the following pages in the search results list:
    PUCKLE, Barzillia to POOH, Anthony
    PEW, Bryan to PUGH, John

I would guess that POOH and PEW in this case are both grouped under the heading PUGH, so a more helpful list of page headings would be
    PUCKLE, Barzillia to PUGH, Anthony
    and
    PUGH, Bryan to PUGH, John

It is much easier to figure out in the paper version!

Have you tried putting the whole name in, rather than just the first three letters? It also may help to try and think of variant spellings of the name you're interested in, and search for those as well.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Aside from going down to Kew is there anyway of seeing apprentice records for after 1754 up to 1811?

A fountain of knowledge

This sounds like the same thing that we're currently keying under Ancestry's "WAP" project. Despite being headed "England" there are lots of Scottish entries. If you work on this project you get free access to the images when they go online. The handwriting isn't too hard to decipher. I think you can be a keyer without having a sub.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast