Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    elbe

Question Surname=Culcheth at Daventry

Dear listers
    I would appreciate your thoughts on trying to find James Culcheth of Daventry (as he is referred to in Burke's Extinct ...), and I will refer to him as James1 for clarity The Culcheth name, according to the net is an old Catholic Lancashire one, but I can't get beyond him. Here's what I have:
    James1 m. Lucretia Duncumb [her ancestors were easy to research] by licence 21 June 1763 - both of Daventry parish. All their children were bap. Daventry - James1's occ. given was tanner then. Lucretia was a widow when she was buried 19 Jan. 1803, but I haven't found James1's burial - maybe he died elsewhere.

(There was James, tanner of Drayton and a John, carrier in the 1777 Daventry militia lists; also 'Connoisseur' vol29 has a John 'of Daventry' 1716 and James 'of Drayton' near Daventry - but I don't know their relationships.) Just briefly, have some details of James2, son and his family - for another query though.

Genie-things close down in regional AUS in summer, so haven't access to film ordering, but would appreciate advice on what to try next. Thanks, elbe

Pennie

Hi Elbe ...

Apart from that of James and Lucretia, there were only four other CULCHETH marriages in Northamptonshire (Source: NMI 1700-1837):

1750 at Brockhall (a couple of miles NE of Daventry)
    1792 at Chacombe (in the south of the county, near the Oxfordshire county boundary)
    1814 in Daventry
    1814 in Northampton

Obviously nothing that could be James's parents, but it may be worth pursuing the Brockhall and Chacombe leads. (I have also checked the Oxfordshire MI, but no CULCHETHs listed.)

Pennie

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by elbe View Post
    but would appreciate advice on what to try next.
    Have you seen these wills?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by elbe View Post
    Lucretia was a widow when she was buried 19 Jan. 1803, but I haven't found James1's burial - maybe he died elsewhere.
    You already have this burial...

Lucretia CULCHETH on 19 Jan 1803 at Holy Cross, Daventry, Northamptonshire. Widow of James. Notes: James Culcheth a turner (sic)
    (FreeREG)

Perhaps this is James's burial ...

Burial of Jas. CULCHETH on 22 Jul 1786 at Holy Cross, Daventry, Northamptonshire
    (FreeREG)

May fit in with the will date that Kerywood found. (written 28 June 1786, proved 2 October 1788)

Could this be a christening for James?

• Christening of James CULCHETH on 18 Oct 1734 at Holy Cross Daventry. Parents John and Frances
      (FreeREG)

Then there is this ...

• Burial of Frances CULCHETH on 25 Aug 1748 at Holy Cross Daventry. Wife of Jno. Notes: Husband an Inn-Holder

Perhaps John married again ...

• Marriage of John CULCHETH to Elizabeth CULCHETH on 21 Dec 1750 at St Peter & St Paul, Brockhall. By Licence

His burial?

• Burial of John CULCHETH on 24 May 1772 at Holy Cross Daventry. Notes: Innholder sign Blackboy.

This burial may also tie in with the will of John CULCHETH (written 13 March 1771, proved 5 September 1772)

I would suggest you go and root around on FreeREG and see what else there there is: there may be lots more.

elbe

Thanks for the replies. This appears to be an uncommon surname in the county. Re the NTH weddings, Pennie, I'll look at them to see who parties were. I think it strange a tanner being married by licence - it suggested to me (s)he was Catholic Or Quaker*. Lucretia came from Anglican ministry stock in Surrey (also a tanning, leatherwork etc area). I believe that family may have made unfortunate investments (the South Sea scandal).
    Re James' burial, being the same churchyard as Lucretia and an uncommon surname, I expect that it's him. Must check out if there's M.I. transcripts.
    No I hadn't come across Lucretia and James' wills (have fallen into the trap of poorer grouping = no will!!). Who knows, John, the innkeeper may be James' father. (I do know the Black Boy Inn was later run by another John.)

Thanks again
    elbe

*Quaker is a possibility because James Culcheth's family in the early 1800's in Surrey are recorded in the Quaker registers.

elbe

Thanks again for the info. Olliecat. I've not used FreeREG at all.
    As I mentioned in my last post, I'd come across the Black Boy Inn connected with the Culcheth family - but in the early 1800s. At this time James' family had moved to Surrey, and from the dates knew it wasn't his son.
    I got hung up on religion too, because Fanny, James' daughter, appears in Anglican and Quaker records (in England) and Anglican and Catholic records (in Tasmania). I couldn't work out what was going on!
    Anyway, it appears from what you've found that I need to research the Culcheth family in NTH for a generation or three yet.
    Again, I am most grateful for your help and guidance.
    elbe

I see there are a number a few Quaker records for children of James and Anna Maria, starting from about 1799. Is this James #2? There don't appear to be many Quaker records for the preceding 18th century for any Culcheth's. There are some records for the 17th century.
    I think those wills that Kerrywood found will be interesting for you. They may help you determine if John the innkeeper is the father of James #1 or not.

Coromandel

From the BMDregisters website I see that there are some relevant entries in London area Quaker records, for example the birth of Lucretia daughter of James in 1799 is recorded in both the London & Middlesex Quarterly Meeting and the Horsleydown, Southwark, Monthly Meeting. There are also some burials, including a James in 1809.

(This info is just from the BMDregisters index; there's likely to be much more in the actual registers. You can see scans for a fee.)

P.S. have just seen that a sample exam paper from the Institute for Heraldic & Genealogical Studies at https://www.
    ihgs.ac.uk/specimen_papers/Certificate_in_Gen.pdf
    has a question "Construct a pedigree of the CULCHETH family of Northamptonshire using the information contained in Appendix A" and goes on to give lots of useful transcripts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    There are also some burials, including a James in 1809.
    Looks like a burial for James #2. Born abt 1769

This would match the christening record ..

James CULCHETH on 14 Mar 1769 at Holy Cross, Daventry. Birth date: 06 Feb 1769. Parents James and Lucretia. Father's occupation: Tanr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast