Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Lone Pine

Jeff thank you so very very much, I have actually coped it out and printed it out, ahhh so now I know what is what and have a point of reference if I am not too sure. Thanks again much much appreciated

oldsoldier

i served my army service in the royal artillary and it was a combination of 6 guns per battery and 3 batterys of guns per regiment assisted by 3 batterys of signallers ( 1 to each battery ) assisted by 3 sections of supply transports ( 1 to each battery ) assisted by 1 engineers ( r.e.m.e repairs ) and they were all kept in order by a command section ( headquarters ) and finally all batterys were supported by an air defence battery in later years and that was 1 regiment . these were then part of a battle group who all worked together with the infantry battalions . at anytime during your service you could volenteer or be posted to other units or regiments or battle groups . the ranks were gunner (private) lance bombadier ( lance corparal ) bombadier ( full corparel ) gunnery sergeant (sergeant) master gunner ( warrant officer ) and after that the ranks fell into line with other regiments ( i.e infantry ) . it was mind boggling to me as a young man ( gunner ) but after a while you soon picked it up or else !! .

Lone Pine

Breakthough! yess went to Who Do you Think You Are Exhibition today and took part of Dads war record with me, and manged to find someone who deals with the British Army in India, ok so this is what he worked out

Dad was in the Glousters and he was a gunner, but what happened was that when he went to India the Norfolks were short of man power, so what they did was send my Dad as gunner although changed it to private to be attached the to the Norfolks as a gunner, (confused I was) but he was actaully still in the Glousters, now two days later after this transfer Dad was wounded and hospitalised and then he couldn't understand the rest of it, but he toldl me to go to the National Army Museum and book an appointmet and they will be able to tell me what is what and its free!

He say he thought would have been at Kohima/Imphal which is where the Norfolks were, I don't remember Dad saying that, but Dad really did not talk about it much to me anyway, told Mum everything once only and she was sick, so no way would he have told me.

So getting there slowly but surely getting there. So thought I would update this. Thanks to all for your help and assistance, and when I get a full translation will post it on here. I shall be an expert on this by the time this is over (not!)

Old Solider thank you if ever I meet you I will give you such a big kiss, you are a star, but then again you are one of "our boys" so what more I could expect thanks again!

Jack Richards

I've followed this thread from the start and found the replies most helpful.

I have just posted a new thread relating to a little research project I have just started dealing with a deceased family member.

Regards

oldsoldier

lonepine beat me to it i was going to reply today to this thread and after spending time reading the docs lonepine sent me i came to the same answer as lonepine i will put my research on anyway but as ive said lonepine pipped me at the post, here goes . Mr . pritchard enlisted on the 24-6-1940,posted to c.company glouster regt , joined 118 light anti aircraft battery on 1-2-42, probably due to injury, voluntry, or manpower shortages, he was classed as A1 FIT for active service on 4-7-40, he was posted to india and was wounded on or around 19-3-45 and was on release probably unfit for fighting duties and so was posted to an headquarters battalion on or around 29-4-45 were he was for around 8 months until he was sent home around 16-12-45, his conduct on release was basicly 100% trustworthy i think i have got it right , lonepine please feel free to correct anything i have got wrong

Lone Pine

Old Solider yes I think you are right, but I will bow to your knowledge. Thanks so much for everything you are a star, but as I said below you are one of our "boys" so what more could we expect.

Rogers

Who do you contact for the records? I would dearly love to have my eldest brothers records. He served in the RN from 1939 untill 1944. That part alone of His service would fill a book, his ship(s) sunk 5 times as I remember twice in one day! The only one I know by name HMS Kelly. In 1944 He volunteerd for the army & scored the job of a Glider pilot just in time for Market Garden! Roy.

Lone Pine

Hello Rogers

What I did was to go to the Minstry of Defence Web here in London site and then it sort of directed me to which bit I needed, it was a long time ago now, over a year, but if I recall correctly you apply for a form via an email request on the web site, the address is in Scotland, and it did cost me £40 approximately and you have to be able to provide proof of realtionship to the person whose record you are asking for. Also if they are still alive, they have to apply themselves for their own record and they did say it can take up to 3 months to arrive. To be honest they did a "sterling" job finding my Dads record, as I had to ask my Aunts which divsion he was in, I had no number, but my Aunts remembered which division and they were able to go from there.

https://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Ab...ePersonnel.htm

Ok here is the page you want and its right at the bottom

Good Luck Rodgers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123