Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

There is another forum, I'm not sure if I should advertise it here but if you Google ww2talk you can find it.

A member has posted a photo of 118th LAA Regt. in what could be the Far East.

Also some information on the Regiment.

Keith

oldsoldier

i think what your working from is copies of your dads records , were as mine are original so somewhere in time your dad has either lost his originals or maybe a close relative ( sister/brother ) may have the original and does not know , if it was possible i would send you a photo of mine but i am not sure if its allowed !!!!! anyone know

oldsoldier

reference sendin a copy of my army records to help i should say i meant send by my e.mail system and only send it to the person who needs help , i dont mind doing this if it helps that person and provided i am not breaking any rules . my records maybe different or of no use but if the searcher P.Ms me i will e.mail a copy

Allanah

I was just as confused when I got my Dad's records, I took them to the RSL club (Return Soldiers) who very kindly deciphered them, typed them all on some lovely paper and it was great, no charge, I am in Australia, but I am sure you could do the same in other country's to.

Allanah

Lone Pine

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    reference sendin a copy of my army records to help i should say i meant send by my e.mail system and only send it to the person who needs help , i dont mind doing this if it helps that person and provided i am not breaking any rules . my records maybe different or of no use but if the searcher P.Ms me i will e.mail a copy
    What I will do is pm you my email address and we can go from there, I don't know about lost copies no idea, but I applied to the MOD for Dads record and that is what they sent me.

oldsoldier

lonepine e.mailed me but i have suggested that lonepine should try to post the docs onto brit-gen were i am sure a few members will be able to help , looking at what i received by e.mail the doc looks like a goverment type record simalar to what you would see at the archives, and nothing like my army docs or any other army docs i have seen . lonepine says they are having trouble posting onto brit-gen so if any member can help i am sure it will be appreciated .

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    lonepine says they are having trouble posting onto brit-gen so if any member can help i am sure it will be appreciated .
    Have a read of this sticky. Follow Mary's instructions (post #1) but have a look at Sue's update in post #2 as well.

jeffersj

Lone Pine does this help?

Posted to 11th (company or regiment) Light Anti-Aircraft Regular Royal Artillery, 384 Battery

Transferred to Royal Norfolk Gunners? India General Headquarters

Lone Pine

Yes it does, but what I can't understand was why was my Dad transferred from one, I don't know what the word is, for want of better expression one army to another army e.g. Gloucester to Norfolk, this is trouble I don't know anything about The Army structure, i.e. who is at the top, Major, Colonel, General. I know Private is the bottom rung of the ladder, struggle with this in connection with Grandad as well, I can't remember what the structure is of the army, that is if I ever learnt it in the first place and then when people start talking about Battalions, Companies again I don't what is what so to speak.

I did say I really struggle with this subject and I do and when people start talking about different calibers of guns I am completely lost. I love history just can't understand Military History and my family is full of it nightmare

When I look at Grandads War record from WW1 its so easy to understand I know where he went, how he want and what happened, but Dads is like something from another planet.

I am just so porud of my "boys" i.e. Dad and Grandad, Grandad died when Dad was about 1 1/2 years old in 1915 at Lone Pine Gallipoli I am just so proud both them I get so upset I really do.

jeffersj

Lone Pine- unless you have been involved with military then it can be confusing, basically it is like a rule of 3's.

3 sections to a platoon, 3 platoons to a company, 3 companies to a regiment, 3 regiments to a Battalion.

Royal Artillery is slightly different i.e. 3guns (i think) to a battery, 3 batteries etc etc.

The Corps have slightly different names - section, troop, squadron, regiment.

Ranks start at Private(Pte), Lance Corporal(L/Cpl), Coporal (Cpl), Sergeant (Sgt), Staff Sergeant(S/Sgt) then Warrant Officer (WO1 and WO2), 2nd Lieutenant(2/Lt), Lieutenant(Lt), Captain(Cpt), Major(Maj), Lt. Colonel(Lt/Col), Colonel(Col), Brigadier(Brig) then up to Gnerals and Field Marshall.

Hope this helps a little.
    Jeff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast