Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    janbooth

Looks like you are spot on Graham. From Notts FHS Baptismal Index:

15 August 1874 at Sneinton St Stephen Thomas Frederick GUTTERIDGE son of William Henry & Elizabeth Ann, Victoria Place, Boot Finisher

20 September 1875 at Sneinton St Stephen Eliza Ann GUTTERIDGE daughter of William Henry & Elizabeth Ann, Queen Street, Shoemaker

Also:

7 Feb 1825 at Nottingham St Mary Joseph Thomas GUTTRIDGE son of Henry & Sarah, Mansfield Road, Lace Manufacturer
    15 Feb 1827 at Nottingham St Mary Ann Martha GUTTRIDGE daughter of Henry & Sarah, Mansfield Road, Lace Manufacturer
    1 July 1828 at Arnold Sarah Corbett GUTTERIDGE daughter of Henry & Sarah, Lacemaker
    10 Jan 1830 at Arnold Samuel GUTTERIDGE son of Henry & Sarah, Lace Manufacturer
    15 Feb 1832 at Radford Frederick GUTTERIDGE son of Henry & Sarah, Radford, Net Agent
    20 May 1834 at Nottingham St Mary Edwin GUTTERIDGE son of Henry & Sarah, Mansfield Road, Lacemaker
    21 Aug 1836 at Nottingham St Nicholas Charles Johnson GUTHERIDGE son of Henry & Sarah, Brewhouse Yard, Hosier

From Notts FHS Marriage Index:

2 November 1820 at Radford Henry GUTTRIDGE & Sarah SIMPSON

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 31-01-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Misplace text

revdfg

Yes, Graham. The birth certificate for Thomas Frederick gives his father, William Henry Gutteridge as "Boot finisher"
    All seems to tie in well.

revdfg

Default More children

Thanks, Graham, for that useful list of children and bapt. dates for Henry Gutteridge and Sarah Simpson
    There appear to be two further children:
    Henry Welthdale Gutteridge 1822 to 1906 (first child)
    Frank Guttridge 1840 to 1900.

From a third party website I have found Henry's parents to be
    Samuel Gutteridge
    Martha Welthdale
    They appear to have married at St Mary, Nottingham 6 July 1789

Next task is to find their births and places of birth and their parents.

janbooth

Again from Notts FHS Baptismal Index:

16 Jan 1791 at Nottingham St Mary Henry GUTTERIDGE son of Samuel & Martha

3 Likely candidates for Sarah SIMPSON:

31 October 1798 at Nottingham St Mary Sarah SIMPSON daughter of Samuel & Hannah
    13 February 1799 at Nottingham St Mary Sarah SIMPSON daughter of Thomas & Martha
    5 October 1800 at Nottingham St Mary Sarah SIMPSON daughter of William & Sarah

However, I would think the latter entry is less likely due to the baptism of another Sarah SIMPSON at St Mary on 20 January 1803 to William & Sarah - unless of course there was another William & Sarah SIMPSON having children at the same time at St Mary, there do seem to be a lot of SIMPSONs having children baptised there at around this time.

I can confirm the marriage information you have been given re Samuel & Martha:

From Phillimores Marriage Index of Nottingham St Mary

6 July 1789 Samuel GUTHERIDGE & Martha WELTHDALE

Good hunting and let me know if I can help further.

Janet

revdfg

Thank, Janet. That has got me back another generation. Quite exciting really - as I am wondering if this branch of Gutteridge/Guttridge/Gutheridge can be traced back to my Leicestershire Gutteridge clan. The story for so many seems to have been that Agricultural workers migrated first from the villages into towns like Loughborough, often to the hosiery trade and later migrated to Nottingham moving from hosiery to lace work. So I would love to be able to trace back another generation or two. So if you have the time and resources I would be very grateful. So may kind people n BG Forum.
    David

janbooth

I seem to have come to a bit of a full stop, David. I can't find a baptism for either Samuel GUTTERIDGE or Martha WELTHDALE on my Notts baptismal cd.

However, there are 3 families of WELTHDALE baptising children at Nottingham St Mary from the 1760s onwards these being a Thomas & Mary WELTHDALE, a John & Mary WELTHDALE and a David & Mary WELTHDALE.

There is a marriage at Nottingham St Mary on 5 October 1756 of a Thomas WELTHDALE & a Mary TWELLS, a marriage at St Mary on 20 June 1765 of a John WELTHDALE & a Mary VOICE but no marriage on the Notts Marriage Index for a David WELTHDALE and Mary. If he married outside Notts, it could be that Martha was born/baptised in her mother's parish.

There is a burial at Nottingham St Mary on 13 March 1807 for Martha GUTTERIDGE wife of Samuel but unfortunately no age given, so don't know approximately when she was born. Samuel was buried at St Mary on 19 April 1827 of Mansfield Road, aged 68, which puts his baptism circa 1759 and according to Family Search Beta there is a baptism at St Margaret Leicester on 27 Oct 1759 of a Samuel GUTTERIDGE son of Samuel & Mary - could this be the link you are looking for??

Janet

revdfg

This is going to be a tough one!
    Leicestershire births around 1759.......
    You have found Samuel Gutteridge son of Samuel and Mary - bap St Margaret Leicester 27 Oct 1759
    From "old" Family Search I have found........
    I have found Samuel Gutheridge son of Samuel and Mary - born 26 Oct 1759 bapt. 12 Dec 1759 St Martin, Leicester
    also a record of a Samuel Gutteridge born about 1759 who marries Mrs Elizabeth Gutteridge born about 1763 both of Walton on the Wolds, Leics, whose daughter Elizabeth was bapt, 25 Dec 1791 in Walton on the Wolds.

I would have liked the W on Wolds to be a solid hit as that is the village of my ancestors, but it doesn't seem to fit = shame - but maybe I'll find a link further back? It will help while away some winter evening!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12