I have an ancestor who ended up settling in South Africa in 1850, but am trying to find out more about him prior to that date. The information I have, so far, is as follows:

He was born c1814, in Scotland and served an apprenticeship as a shipwright in Aberdeen (presumably some time around the 1830s and possibly early 40s). Between May 1847 and July 1848, he was employed at the Dockyards in Deptford, Kent, and then served as a ship's carpenter on the 'Minerva' until 1850 when the ship sank off Port Natal, and he chose to remain there. His eldest son was named William MCPHAIL Cooper and I am wondering if that might be his mother or grandmother's maiden name, perhaps.

I have searched the 1841 census for England and Wales but have had no joy in spotting him, so it may be that he was still in Scotland at that date. Could SKS see if they could locate him, as I desperately need to know roughly where in Scotland he was born, in order to go any further with my research. I'd be very grateful for any possible sightings!