Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Dorset Girl

Smile An enjoyable Scam phone conversation

Such a fun phone call yesterday- overseas call (immediate suspicions):
    "Hello - I am ?? from Windows Securities - we are ringing you today because it appears you have a problem with your computer
    Really?
    Yes, did you know you have malicious software that has been downloaded onto your computer?
    No
    That is why we are here to help you"

..........lots more back and forth bits and pieces acting quite innocent............

"Is your computer turned on?
    Yes
    Can you look on your keyboard and find the button with four flags on it?
    No
    Have another look - it is a Microsoft key
    No
    Well go to the Start button at the bottom of the computer -
    Where?"
    (repeat - Start button)

after a few more back and forths I said - "there is a small problem by the way" - "what is that?" said little Indian lady ...............................

I've got a Mac

BANG went the phone down at her end - I had wasted ten minutes of her time and loved every second of it!

Marion

Ms Tarfgi

Brilliant! I hope she rings me 'cos I've got a Mac too. I'd like to see how much of her time I could waste!

LittleSpark

Ditto - brilliant!
    We were getting quite a few of these calls before Christmas and we just hung up.
    Now I shall follow your advice and waste their time too.

Davran

Priceless!

Dorset Girl

It's the best fun I've had in years - and the silly thing is - I have a PC - it's my OH who has the Mac (but then a whole pack of big black lies allows me to have one little white lie in return surely!!!)
    Marion

Famous for offering help & advice

Maybe if everyone did that the calls would cease.......

Don't know if I could keep the "glee" out of my voice... I may have to put them on Hold while I go and "check" my computer as it is in the basement and a long ways from the phone..... Nobody says I have to get back to the phone for a half hour or so...think of the research I could get done

Sue

Famous for offering help & advice

My wife took one of these calls a few weeks ago, and since the gist of it was that her computer had allegedly been sending error messages to "Windows Support" (sic), after stringing them along for a while she asked how it had managed to do that without recording anything in the error logs on the machine itself. Cue silence as the line went dead.

Maybe I'm a bit of a softie, but part of me feels slightly sorry for the individuals who make these calls, since in many cases they may be working in these places out of desperation to find any kind of work at all, and may have inadvertently become victims of the scammers themselves.

Arthur

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    Priceless!
    Truly brilliant!

spison

We've had a lot of these too. I usually just say I'm not interested. The very first time I asked for their website so I could check them out and checked it with my IT son who said the address was fishy. Now I have a better plan of attack. I'll pretend I have a Mac! Bring it on I can hardly wait!

Jane

Knowledgeable and helpful

Also good when they say what version is your operating system? OS10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast