Hugh Thompson

Default Bogus email from "forum member"

A warning to all forum members, I received this email just now, supposedly from one of the forum members , it has to be bogus but I'm wondering if it was sent to others, I have helped her out in the past with a few things and the email address is hers so maybe identity theft?, anyway here's the message that I received.
    Regards.
    Hugh.

"Hello,
    I know this might sound odd but believe me because i,m writing this with tears in my eyes.? I'm stuck in Scotland,I came to visit a researchers complex then got mugged at gun point last night, all cash,credit card and cell phone were stolen off me, Thank God I still have my life and passport saved..I'm having problem in settling the hotel bills I need you to loan me 1450 pounds to sort out the hotel bills and also take a cab to the airport,

You can wire the money to me through western union all you need is Name on my passport and location,I will appreciate any amount you can wire to my info below.

Name:xxxxxxxxx
    Amount: 1450 pounds

I will definitely refund your cash as soon as i get home.As soon as it is done, kindly get back to me with the western union transfer details.
    Best regards,
    xxxxxx. "
    Last edited by MarkJ; 02-02-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: details edited.

MarkJ

OK, this particular little scam has been doing the rounds for a while. Someone claims to be stuck somewhere and needs cash to get home.
    The sender will be someone you probably know - the email is sent from a compromised account and sent to everyone in that persons address book.

I will edit the thread to remove the members details as they are probably unaware of the problem and contact them off the forum.

Mark

Hugh Thompson

Thanks Mark, I was going to tell the person involved but it will be better coming from you, and thanks Pam.
    Hugh.

MarkJ

No problem Hugh - thanks for bringing it to the attention of the members here.
    Funnily enough, I had the same sort of scam email a week or two ago from a genealogy contact. Her email account had been compromised and she had no idea that this stuff was being sent until she was contacted by the provider of her email service.

I would be wary of trying to email anyone who is sending this stuff - the account is compromised and the chances are that you may end up on a list somewhere for other spammers to pick from!

Mark

Knowledgeable and helpful

I too had an email same wording from a name I knew but knew wouldnt have sent such a email......I doubt any friend or colleague would use email over a phonecall..............but we just have to be on our guard all the time

sandie

strawberrymivvy

There is another one doing the rounds too, "had to rush to Spain to help a sick relative who urgently needs hysterectomy, left home without any funds".

There are people out there who fall for these, so we need to keep our guard up as they get ever more sophisticated - this one certainly wasn't, very bad English!