Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My lot are McDade, Bone, Gordon, Cameron. They lived in one of the really poverty stricken areas - Ardeer Square - which consisted of rows of dwellings of one room, some of them having the luxury of a window.
    Family Tree Magazine printed an article some time ago about the conditions in such dwellings and they had a picture of Ardeer Square. It was just fantastic to see where they lived and at the same time horrifying to try and imagine what it was like.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

DorothySandra

A further point: the stigma of illegitimacy was a legal matter: an illegitimate child had no claim on a parent's estate unless named specifically in a will; you couldn't be an officer in some army regiments (no matter how rich and high ranking your parents were); illegitimate sons could not inherit titles or entailed estates - even if the child was "legitimated" by the marriage of the parents after the birth, or adopted, or acknowledged as a son by his father. (The last one might still be true, it still applied in the 20th Century)

There were quite few legal disadvantages, it wasn't just a matter of moral or social attitudes.

Because of these legal disadvantages, the higher up the social and economic scale you were, the more it mattered, but illegitimate children were usually taken care of by rich families, even if they were never told who their parents were. In poor families it was more difficult.

Famous for offering help & advice

It was from 1875 onwards that a father of a illegitimate child had to be present for his name to appear on the register. Before then the mother could name a man as a father if he wished but most of the time the fathers name and occupation was left blank, even if she knew who he was.

welshtyke

I have only been doing this genealogy thing since Christmas 2011, but its opening up for me an whole new world of social science.

It looks like I have an illegitimate grandfather however my great grandparents did marry about a year later after his birth. This whole stigma around children born outside of wedlock around 1900 is what I am not sure about. Reading around things reveals it was certainly not uncommon, but to what extent would it be covered up.

I suspect that my grandfathers birth out of wedlock may have been covered up by saying he was born in Sligo, Ireland, rather than in Sheffield as per recorded evidence (his mothers maiden appears to be on his birth index). Could this be plausible.

welshtyke

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    If you've only seen the entry in the GRO index I assume you don't have the certificate which would show his birth place. Because a birth could only be registered in the District in which the birth took place it is likely that Sheffield was where he was born if that was where he was registered.

If you give us his details and year of birth we could take a look and get a better idea of what you mean.
    His details James Albert B Cooper, index 9c 393 and his mothers name should be Alice Amelia. If I can get a match with his mothers name I know I have him

The only way you would be sure is to order the certificate. But this info may help: On the Sheffield Council website they have the local birth indexes. The James Albert B COOPER registered in Ecclesall B district on GRO, is listed in full as James Albert Bray COOPER (subdistrict Hallam). Alice Amelia COOPER married Albert BRAY in Dec 1901, Sheffield reg. disgtict.

welshtyke

Quote Originally Posted by Mona View Post
    The only way you would be sure is to order the certificate. But this info may help: On the Sheffield Council website they have the local birth indexes. The James Albert B COOPER registered in Ecclesall B district on GRO, is listed in full as James Albert Bray COOPER (subdistrict Hallam). Alice Amelia COOPER married Albert BRAY in Dec 1901, Sheffield reg. disgtict.
    Thats the one. Please could you post the link. Many thanks

Not sure what link you want? Graham has given you the link to order from the GRO, and the reference.

The link for the local register office is HERE. Put in search for BIRTH, surname COOPER, and year 1900, then follow instructions.

The GRO reference for the marriage of Alice Amelia COOPER is Dec 1901, Sheffield, 9c, 1142; Albert BRAY on same page.
    Last edited by Mona; 14-03-2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: addition

welshtyke

Once again many thanks

Mallyjam

Quote Originally Posted by Barmouth View Post
    I understand that if a girl wasn't married, then the father actually had to be present for the child to be given his name on the birth cert, that was the case in England and I guess Wales too although I am not sure when that changed.
    Helpful to know - thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123