Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Yes it probably did depend on the village and the circumstances of the family, ie money or power in the village.

My one left the quaint Sussex village life for the grime and dirt of London in 1864 after having a base child. Born in a tranquil remote village in 1839 in Sussex and died in an inner city London tenement in late 1886.

Tinker

Phil,
    In Scotland, you didn't necessarily have to have a formal marriage record or a ceremony involving a minister: I'm no expert, but as far as I know, a couple in Scotland could declare in front of two witnesses that they were married, and that was considered legally binding. Google 'Gretna Green'
    Last edited by Tinker; 30-01-2011 at 3:41 PM. Reason: slight correction of facts

Starting to feel at home

I understand that if a girl wasn't married, then the father actually had to be present for the child to be given his name on the birth cert, that was the case in England and I guess Wales too although I am not sure when that changed. If the mum was recieving alms from the Parish where she resided, she would be put under great pressure to name the father who would then be chased with Bastardy papers for him to 'fess up!
    regards
    Linda

DorothySandra

In Scotland, a woman might be known by her maiden name even if she was married. She might even be referred to as Robert Cruickshank's wife, Helen Donald.

The baptismal records that I've seen all said the child was 'natural' or 'lawful'

Having an illegitimate child was one thing - not good but not actually evil, more unfortunate - but have a completely fatherless child suggested that you didn't know which man was the father, or that the father had denied being responsible.

Jeuel

I am confused! How could a birth in Wales be registered in Ireland? I'd also say that in England and Wales (and I presume Ireland at that period) fathers who weren't married to the mother HAD to be present at the register office to have their name on the certificate. But if the mother said she was married and gave her name and her "husband's" name as though she was there would have been no checks to prove they were married. It was assumed that a husband was the father of a woman's child.

DorothySandra

The mother may have been married: in Scotland it wasn't unusual to use her maiden name on official documents, so the child may well be legitimate. Might he have abandoned his pregnant wife, if she was in the poor house and he wasn't? This evasion of his responsibility might be the reason for his change of name. Of course, subsequent children might well have been illegitimate, as she might not have been free to marry again.

The stigma was always there: how unkind people were would depend on their natures and on the particular circumstances. The biggest problem for single mothers was always the difficulty in earning a living while caring for a child by herself. As indeed, it is in the 21st Century.

p.mca

Thanks again to all repliers. I have had a timely reminder to not take things for granted and to constantly review old info without presumptions. When I was first sent the birth cert of my ancestor I was told the story about Welsh birth. However an elderly Scots lady recently pointed out to me that there is a tiny place very close to Coleraine (where the birth was registered) called Barmouth. So there you go. Still leaves questions but makes much more sense.

A lot of the residents of Stevenston, Ayrshire were of Irish origin. I know this from my own lot. It is possible that when her pregnancy became known to her family they packed her off back to Ireland for the birth. There she could give the name of her "husband" as the father of the child. She wouldn't be asked to prove her marriage.
    I am now dreadfully curious about the name of this person simply because I have ancestors from Stevenston and would love to find a connection!
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

p.mca

Thanks for your interest. My Stevenston ancestors are Davidsons and Cowans principally. The mother is the case is Mary Davidson, b 1853 (ish) In Stevenston, her parents John Davidson b 1820 and Janet Cowan b 1812 Stevenston. The child mentioned in the post is Thomas Archibald Johnston b 23 Mar 1871. Would love to hear if you have any connection to the above lot.

p.mca

Incidently the father of John Davidson was Hugh Davidson, b 1791 in Ireland, perhaps adding weight to your supposition.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast