Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Jane56

Default Scottish Police - midlothian - stuck :(

I am currently researching one of my relatives (Jane) ....... we have discovered that a John Connor has been the informant on Jane's son's birth, death and Jane's death.

We think this is quite odd, so just looking through the census' for John Connor and found only one that matches his description.....however, does anyone know if this is a Police Constable ?

Superintendent Dom Prinstary

It sounds like a Superintendant although have no idea what the rest means.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Julie

Bertie

Could be something Constabulary (or an abbreviation of it?) Was John possibly Jane's partner and father to the son?

gasser

Although I have googled the phrase Superintendent Dom Prinstary and parts of it, nothing to establish what its meaning has been found, I'm wondering if it's something to do with a church or other similar ecclesiastical organisation? Just a thought.
    Last edited by gasser; 19-01-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Jane56

thanks for your help.

we are thinking john connor could be the father of janes child although we dont seem to be able to find him on the following census. argh its hard work lol.

thank you

julie

Bertie

Hi Jane - are you working from a transcipt of the relevant census? If so (e.g. and from A**y) they are notoriously badly transcribed and I would recommend getting the actual record for a very modest cost from scotlandspeople. If that does not help, then please post a copy of the actual part of the record her (attach it as a file) and then let some of us read it to see what it says.

By the way, can you give us an indication of the relevant dates for this and the related posts to help us look for you?

I presume this has been taken from the Ancestry transcription of the Scottish 1871 census

Parish: Edinburgh St Cuthberts; ED: 107; Page: 12; Line: 8; Roll: CSSCT1871_158; Year: 1871

You would need to look at the original on Scotlandspeople, as there is almost certainly a transcription error. John Connor's place of birth has been transcribed as Harfedwat, Wales (Haverford West?). My guess would be that Bertie is right in #2 and the word is Constabulary
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

I remembered that I had a couple of free credits from SP that I needed to use. The original says "Superintendent Dean Cemetery" and yes, he was born in Haverford West.
    Sue Mackay

Jane56

thanks everyone..

i have had a look at Scotlands People and found the transcript and your right the other website has not listed it very well. John Connor's occupation is Superintendent Dean Ornetery (cant make out the last word)..

its so strange that a police constable would inform the registrar of a birth of a baby, death of the mother and death of the baby ..... all informed by the same man within a few weeks of each other.

wish we could go back in time and see what happened, its so intriguing

Quote Originally Posted by Jane56 View Post
    John Connor's occupation is Superintendent Dean Ornetery (cant make out the last word)..
    See my post #7. I'm pretty sure it says Dean Cemetery

Was the John Connor (police constable) merely the informant on the certificates you have? If the mother was on her own, and very ill, when the baby was born, there may have been no-one else around to do the paperwork.
    Sue Mackay

Jane56

Hi Sue,

it seems you could be right, he is only the informant, we just found it odd but you could be right.

another dead end we seem to have got too but will keep on going .......... where there is a will there is a way so they say.

Julie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast