Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

I don't think he is necessarily a policeman but maybe the person in charge of the cemetery. I seem to remember our local swimming baths in Scotland when I was young had a superintendent as did our Sunday school.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Jane56 View Post
    its so strange that a police constable would inform the registrar of ...
    He may have been a Superintendent of the Cemetery rather than a police constable. Address on the census was 43 Dean Path. This road is next to the Cemetery. See this site.

Bertie

Where was John Connor living? Was he also in New Pentland? Did Jane commit suicide after (and because of) the birth / death of son George?

Bertie

Just seen olliecat's post - so, John was resident by the cemetery in Edinburgh. What was he doing in New Pentland?

Bertie

Per your other post:

"I have a death entry for my relatives Jane Dickson and George Dickson (her son), we have found that Jane committed suicide in the stables of Pentland Villa in New Pentland"

What census details do you have for (1) Jane (died at New Pentland) vis a vis (2) John Connor (lived by Dean Cemetery, Edinburgh and was the informant for George's birth and death as well as Jane's death) and (3) the owners of Pentland Villa. Is there a link between these people and places?

Jane56

thank you, i think i must have been clutching at straws hoping he was the person i was looking for.

Bertie

Jane - can you post some more details in order to tie up these strands and to help you determine whether or not he is the person?

Jane56

Hi Bertie,

What I know so far is that Jane Dickson gave birth to an illigitamate child, George, in 4th Dec 1875 then he died from overlaying on the 10th Dec - Jane then committed suicide on the 20th in the stables of Pentland Villa in New Pentland, Lasswade.

All 3 events "informants" were John Conner, Police Constable. All 3 events happened at Pentland Villa - although I have no idea what this building would have been then as it no longer exists.

Jane and Georges deaths even though days apart were not registered until the 21st Dec.

The confusing thing is that Jane had another illigitimate child, William who would have been 12 at the time - dont no where he is when all this happened?
    We also cant find the John Connor who is the police constable on the census of 71 or 81 to see if he has any connection with jane whatsoever.....the only ones I can find are not police constables.

Also we cant find what Pentland Villa was at that time or who lived there - checked 71 and 81 census and still dont seem to find that address.

hahaha a lot of info there

Julie

Famous for offering help & advice

I wonder if Jane who died was perhaps in a hospital or workhouse at New Pentland and if there was a hospital there today. There does seem to be a hospital at Loanhead.

Also on the various certs - can you look at the dates closely (when died/when registered etc) The relationship of the informant should be given. More details would be helpful.

Just seen above post with details- thanks

Jane56

I feel that Pentland Villa was some sort of institution as I would imagine her family have disowned her as they are married off and the parents still alive yet Jane had two young sons at the end and lived without them.

Her mental state mustnt have been right to kill herself the way she did as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast