RobinC

Default Eliot Square, Deptford St Nicholas

I am trying to find the location of Eliot Square in Deptford as some of my direct ancestors lived there between 1842 and 1861.

I have been looking at this website: archivemaps.com/mapco/bart1908/bart39.htm (www. infront) but have had no success, are there any other websites that would prove useful?

Logie

Hi Robin

Not sure if this is your Elliott Square!
    londontown.com/LondonStreets/elliott_square_7c4.html#MAP

Logie

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Logie View Post
    Hi Robin

Not sure if this is your Elliott Square!
    londontown.com/LondonStreets/elliott_square_7c4.html#MAP

Logie
    Hi Logie,

Thanks for the reply but I don't think it's the right place as the Elliott Square in the link you posted is in Camden not Deptford.

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

I did a search on FMP for Elliott Square (1851 census) and it is listed under St. Nicholas, Deptford, Greenwich, Kent

Logie

Have you tried the Historical Directories for street names? You may be able to check nearby streets to Elliott Square that could help you pinpoint it. In fact, you may well be able to do this on previous or post pages to your relatives on the census records you have found.

Lorna

Brick wall demolition expert!

Looking at the 1851 census, other streets around Elliot Square are Frenches Fields, Industry Row, Old King Street. I did find this map snippet ...

www.
    ph.ucla.edu/epi/snow/1859map/deptfordcholera_1854_a.html

Scroll toward the bottom of the page and click the 1862 Stanford's Map link. On the map is a red patch and you will see Elliott Square with Frenches Fields and Old King Street runnning north/south on either side. You will also see Elliott Square on the 1868 Old Ordnance Survey Map that they have.

The rough location on on a modern map is here. I would estimate that Elliott Square was somewhere between New King Street and Deptford Green.

RobinC

I've just had a look at your link, olliecat and it seems that my ancestors lived right next to where there was a cholera outbreak in 1854.

I wonder how well they would have known the victims?

RobinC

I've also found where Elliott Square is but it's a blink and miss it place!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I've just had a look at your link, olliecat and it seems that my ancestors lived right next to where there was a cholera outbreak in 1854.

I wonder how well they would have known the victims?
    On the page there is a quote from John Snow which mentions ninety deaths at the "north end of New Street and an adjoining row called French's Fields."

Since Elliott Square is right at the top of Frenches Fields, I'm sure they knew some of the people who died. Do you know if any of your own family died in 1854?

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    On the page there is a quote from John Snow which mentions ninety deaths at the "north end of New Street and an adjoining row called French's Fields."

Since Elliott Square is right at the top of Frenches Fields, I'm sure they knew some of the people who died. Do you know if any of your own family died in 1854?
    Not that I'm aware of but a distant relative may have done.