FredW

Default Wm GUEST joined R.I.C. in 1888

Hello,

I'm looking for the service number of a William GUEST who joined the R.I.C. in about 1888.

Mr. William Guest, ex-Inspector of police, who died suddenly at Hunter's Hill on Wednesday afternoon, aged 66 years, was born in County Roscommon, Ireland. He served for some time with the Royal Irish Constabulary, and in 1892 came to this country, and joined the New South Wales police force. First stationed at Bathurst, he was transferred to Mudgee, where in 22 years he rose from the rank of constable to that of Inspector.
    Thanks.

Regards,

Fred

Knowledgeable and helpful

Contact Garda Jim Herlihy at Blarney Garda station, Cork. He has old RIC records and may be able to help you. His e-mail address is on this website:

https://www.esatclear.ie/~garda/museum.html

FredW

Hello Elwyn,

Thank you very much.

I have received some details from the Garda Museum previously for others in my tree but for those I had the service number.

Regards,

Fred

Knowledgeable and helpful

Fred,

I think the original RIC records are held in Kew, London with copies at the National Library in Dublin. Perhaps they can help?
    In addition there is an RIC forum where you might get advice: https://irishconstabulary.com/

Elwyn

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn Soutter View Post
    Fred,

I think the original RIC records are held in Kew, London with copies at the National Library in Dublin.
    This TNA research guide may help FredW understand what is available and where to find it - Royal Irish Constabulary

TNA's Your Archives has some additional records and information - e.g.
    Recipients of Constabulary Medal

FredW

Hello Elwyn,

Yes, Kew and at the National Archives in Dublin. I was in Dublin 4 years ago and managed to get copies of some service records.

That is Peter's new site. On his old one he used to do look ups and that's where prior to 2010 I used to get the service numbers. Peter no longer does the look ups hence my original query - the search for the service number.

Regards,

Fred

FredW

Hello Geoffers,

Thanks. I know where the records are held but the first step is to get the service number. Prior to Jan 2010 there were two internet sites where a look up could be requested. Both have since ceased doing look ups, hence my query. I was hoping someone knew of a site still offering them.

Regards,

Fred