Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Procat

Quote Originally Posted by p.mca View Post
    Procat your comment makes good sense; is there any way in a few weeks I could just transfer this across to the Merioneth section as it might catch some new interest from the locals over there who might not be monitoring the brickwalls section?
    Certainly - just send a PM to any of the Moderators.

p.mca

Well the brick wall may not be down but I have had some simple and very probably correct advice. An elderly scottish lady (not via this forum) has pointed out there is a place called Barmouth VERY close by to Coleraine where the birth was registered. Now that I look at the (Irish) birth cert I realise it says place of birth Barmouth, not Barmouth, Wales as would be expected. So my sincere apologies to contributor "Barmouth" who was kind enough to try and physically track down info in what turned out to be a wild goose chase. There are family links to Northern Ireland two generations further back so this may explain why the birth was registered there. A timely reminder to me to constantly re-examine old info for new interpretations.

Starting to feel at home

I am really pleased you have found a new track to follow, well done
    Barmouth

K9ARO

Ok so you are now in Northern Ireland and in County Derry/Londonderry...a shorter distance from Scotland. Ireland as a whole was then part of the UK and Dublin was the UKs second capitol city so if you are looking at records prior to 1922 then Dublin is where many will be, although some are at PRONI in their new centre in the redeveloped Titanic Quarter in Belfast ( which is likely where they would have travelled to from Scotland) it is about an hours drive ( now) at the top of NI from Belfast ....so I am better to give you a website which has several good NI and Irish links on it and worth looking on the 'documents' page as there are some help sheets to other available records and records a new site and they are adding to it all the time, so you may find something there too...free acess to the 1901 & 1911 on the national archives.ie link ( if they were still in NI at that time) many earlier records, mainly census were largely destroyed in 1922 in the fire at the NA, Dublin, part of the 'troubles' at that time https://familytimeline.webs.com/apps/links/ I will look and see if I have any other Derry resources and if I find any will add..........not a bad place to live the coastline and area is really, really beautiful, Port Stewart( nearest town) is where all the well off NI have second homes, fabulous golf course, Giants Causway close by, Barmouth is a Hertiage/Wildlife site and of course Bushmills ( best N Irish whiskey distillary) but I only ever call in for a sample when over there just to check they are still keeping up the quality.....

Regards

K9ARO

https://www.
    igp-web.com/derry/index.htm
    and
    https://www.
    derry.rootsireland.ie/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123