Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    larkspur

Hi Sue, you probably have this, Marriage Gamston by East Retford Notts. George Simpson and Ann Jackson 26 Dec 1815. Sadly Gamston does not feature in my copy of Phillimore marriage index.
    Gamston is a fast half hour walk from West Markham, I can walk to WM from East Markham in 20 minutes. Newark is 20 minutes drive from E M, so all in the same general area. I have many Jacksons from E M in my tree, but not your Ann.
    There is a baptism also in Gamston 13 Oct 1797 for Hannah Jackson daughter of David and Mary, making her 18 if the marriage is hers.
    Also in Gamston marriage David Jackson and Mary Coussan 16 Sept 1792.
    Gamston baptism 5 Sep 1773 David with parents David and Ann.

larkspur

The only publican I could find George Simpson Vict. Plough at Thurgarton, Notts this is in Whites Directory.1844

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by larkspur View Post
    Hi Sue, you probably have this, Marriage Gamston by East Retford Notts. George Simpson and Ann Jackson 26 Dec 1815. Sadly Gamston does not feature in my copy of Phillimore marriage index.
    Gamston is a fast half hour walk from West Markham, I can walk to WM from East Markham in 20 minutes. Newark is 20 minutes drive from E M, so all in the same general area. I have many Jacksons from E M in my tree, but not your Ann.
    There is a baptism also in Gamston 13 Oct 1797 for Hannah Jackson daughter of David and Mary, making her 18 if the marriage is hers.
    Also in Gamston marriage David Jackson and Mary Coussan 16 Sept 1792.
    Gamston baptism 5 Sep 1773 David with parents David and Ann.
    A very kind person is going to look at the West Markham registers for me to see if it gives Georges occupation for either William or Hannah so I have fingers crossed. If he turns out to be associated with any kind of pub then I think it could be the right family and then this marriage would make sense.

There is a George and Ann living in Newark a bit later and their son Henry (a tailor's apprentice) was born after Hannah. William was a tailor too and this George was an Ostler. So a loose (very) connection to a pub or inn.

Thanks again for your help, I will keep you posted once I have this Georges occupation.

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by larkspur View Post
    The only publican I could find George Simpson Vict. Plough at Thurgarton, Notts this is in Whites Directory.1844
    I think this George was the landlord of the Plough Inn at Farnsfield who was married to Martha I have them in the 1841 through to 1861. He was born in Eakring in abt 1801 and I cannot find any children for this couple - she was a bit older than him. When this George died (after Martha) he left a small amount to his widowed sister Elizabeth. By the time he died William had pre-deceased him leaving a family so surely he would have left any money to them. Perhaps not. The other George I mentioned earlier (Newark) was a tapkeeper in the 1841 census and described as an ostler on his children's baptism records. He died in 1849 after being kicked by a horse. He could have waited until after the 1851! So I don't know whether this George and Ann were the George and Ann you found marrying in Gamston but it would be nice if they were! Provided they were my William's parents of course. What a muddled weave this is and it all depends upon what the kind person discovers in the record office. If only NFHS had transcribed West Markham baptisms. I bet you wish you hadn't got involved!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12