Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Devonmade

Thank you for the extra information, i've not got anyone else in my tree that I have been able to find out so much about his career.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Devonmade
    Thank you to everyone for their suggestions. I have seen all your suggestions and may well invest in the Records of seamans services but how far do they go?
    You may well find that they cover his whole career. You won't find a more effective means of quickly assembling his service record.

The alternative for his time as a WO or Commissioned Officer is to work through the Navy List, which is interesting but (assuming you can locate a good run of the publication) time consuming.

Two records that you can instantly download on your computer for less than the cost of a single BMD certificate seems quite good value to me.

Hollytree

Quote Originally Posted by Devonmade View Post
    Thank you to everyone for their suggestions. I have seen all your suggestions and may well invest in the Records of seamans services but how far do they go? The London Gazette was interesting as I found even more references to other Foxworthy relatives. It was interesting that he got an MBE. He died in Cardiff in 1958. I couldn't find a marriage for him, he did well as he came from an ordinary sort of background.

Sue
    As you live in the Home Counties it might be that you could visit the National Archives at Kew, then you can access documents online for free. Still costs to print each page, which is (I think) about 20p a page..........but the advantage of downloading the information from TNA is that you can save it and print as many copies as you wish!

I have looked at RN records and gone on to look at other documents, one relative had been court martialled and I was able to look at the records of this at TNA..........puts much flesh on the bones.

Good luck

Anne

Devonmade

Well I bit the bullet and have now got both service records. They are a bit faint but he appears to be abt 5ft 1inch in height, was a labourer when he joined up, and one captain wrote that he was zelous, keen efficient and an amusing messmate.

Sue

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Devonmade
    Well I bit the bullet and have now got both service records.
    Good for you; once bought you have a permanent record of your chap which is a good basis for trying to find out more. If you get stuck with the records, I'm sure there are some forum members who would be willing to help. At least you have a brief description of him and an idea as to his character.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12