Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Devonmade

Default Oscar Gerald Foxworthy

My Oscar Foxworthy was born in Paignton, Devon abt 1884/5. He appears to be a one off as I cant find another with the same name. In the 1901 Census he is listed as a boy at Devonport Dockyard. I haven't access to the 1911 census so don't know if he is listed or what he was up to. By 1914 he is a Lieutenant Commander. He would have been abt 30 years old is this unusual? or was it to do with the war?

Sue

Sue,
    If you check the London Gazette you will find a reference to O G Foxworthy - Sep 27 1924

I have also seen an item in the Times Jun 10 1915 for a Foxworthy (no first names/initials) which refer to the rank mentioned in the London Gazette item.

In 1911 he is a Leading Seaman, Ship 'Doris', with the Atlantic Fleet at Gibraltar, age 27, still single, born Paynton (TNA Copywright)

Devonmade

It seems a big jump from leading seaman to Lt Commander. I will have alook for the London Gazette.

Sue

Hollytree

Have you looked at Documents online? His name will appear with a search along with other Foxworthys..............https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

Anne

There is a further reference in the London Gazette for April 14 1937.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I don't know if you have these ...

There is a record on ancestry for a King George V Silver Jubilee Medal awarded to a Oscar Gerald Foxworthy in 1935

There's also a 1926 Calcutta/Malta to England passenger list with his name on it. Doesn't give his rank though.

The Gazette date shd read Apr 13 1937 (I was quoting the Times date). The last Gazette reference is Feb 7 1939 and helps explain his Lieut Cd rank.

The Times Jun 9 1938
    BIRTHDAY HONOURS LIST
    MBE (Military Division)
    Foxworthy, Commissioned Boatswain, Oscar Gerald, R.N (Retd)

Geoffers

Two service records held at TNA will detail his service. It will cost you £3.50 to view each document.

ADM188/356 Oscar Gerald FOXWORTHY bn 16 Feb 1884, Paignton
    (Service in other ranks)

ADM196/156 O G FOXWORTHY bn 16 Feb 1884
    (service as an officer)

Devonmade

Thank you to everyone for their suggestions. I have seen all your suggestions and may well invest in the Records of seamans services but how far do they go? The London Gazette was interesting as I found even more references to other Foxworthy relatives. It was interesting that he got an MBE. He died in Cardiff in 1958. I couldn't find a marriage for him, he did well as he came from an ordinary sort of background.

Sue

Sue,
    A couple of items about his Navy career mentioned in The Times

June 10 1915 Naval Appointments
    Boatswain - G F Wheeler to the Bustard, vice Foxworthy, to date Jun 4

October 26 1935 Naval Appointments
    Cd Bosn - O G Foxworthy to Greenwich (Oct 26)

November 30 1935 Naval Appointments
    Cd Bosn - O G Foxworthy to Pembroke for Chatham Dockyard (Dec 3)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast