Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Names

Devonmade

Default First Names

I have a family with three children two are girls then there is the one named "Melbourne". Any ideas if this name was given to males or females?

Bit hard googling, but if you put in the right phrase...

Anyway, the only reference I saw, that Melbourne was a Male name (USA)

gasser

A search on google reveals it was commonly used for boys and was in top 1000 in the year 1913.
    However another site says "Based on popular usage, it is 4.244 times more common for Melbourne to be a girl's name." and then another says its used for boys. And so it goes on......... the choice is yours, I guess the year you encountered the name might be a clue.

Devonmade

Thanks for the info. I've never come across it as a first name before.

ET in the USA

I'm surprised too. I thought my tree had all the odd names. On the 1851 census, Find My Past shows 36 people with the first name Melbourne. Only 3 of them are female. By 1891 there were 151 Melbournes & only 2 females. 1911 - 240 Melbournes, 5 femals & 5 ? - so transcriber wasn't sure [at least I hope it was the transcriber & not the head of household who wasn't sure ]

Colin Rowledge

On the subject of 'unusual' names, in my line I have, as taken from both the original census schedule and the the transcriber's version, the following name for a girl - "SARETATA" 1891 census.

Looking for the birth in and around 1878 as the girl was 13, I finally found her. The correct spelling was CERITA and I have the birth details. Problems are:
    1] She's not on the 1881 or 1901 census.
    2] In 1891 she's living with her 3 siblings and her grandparents

The parents married in 1867. They don't show up in any census after their marriage. In 1901 the only kid I can find is the youngest daughter working as a servant.

This isn't fun. !!

Devonmade

My Melbourne has two sisters they were all born after 1911. I have found marriages for the two sisters, but wouldn't you just know it, there is no other sign of Melbourne, perhaps they preferred their middle name.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    On the subject of 'unusual' names, in my line I have, as taken from both the original census schedule and the the transcriber's version, the following name for a girl - "SARETATA" 1891 census.

Looking for the birth in and around 1878 as the girl was 13, I finally found her. The correct spelling was CERITA and I have the birth details. Problems are:
    1] She's not on the 1881 or 1901 census.
    2] In 1891 she's living with her 3 siblings and her grandparents

The parents married in 1867. They don't show up in any census after their marriage. In 1901 the only kid I can find is the youngest daughter working as a servant.

This isn't fun. !!
    Given my post should be 'elsewhere' I'll desist from further comment on this thread as it concerns the given name "Melbourne"

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Devonmade View Post
    I have a family with three children two are girls then there is the one named "Melbourne".
    Can you find this family in any census? The relationship to the head of the family (i.e. son/daughter) should clarify whether "Melbourne" is a boy or a girl.

Mutley

I have a friend I have known for some years as 'Mel'. I always thought it was short for Melvin but he recently said his name was Melbourne. He is a Londoner but believes his ancestors may have been Jewish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast