Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    paul346

Lightbulb R/N service record

Hi
    trying to confirm a r/naval service record for my g/father it shows he joined in 1878 left in1899 with a pension
    joined again 1n 1914 till 1919 (must have loved the sea)
    hovever his death cert reads pensioned r n seaman 14184 which in TNA refures to a completly different guy
    a one john hardie any idea what this no could be would he have a different pension no for his ww1 service ??

thanks

Geoffers

You're message isn't too clear, could I clarify some points please.........

Quote Originally Posted by paul346
    trying to confirm a r/naval service record for my g/father it shows he joined in 1878 left in1899 with a pension
    Taking one stage at a time - have you been able to download this service record from TNA's documentsonline?

joined again 1n 1914 till 1919 (must have loved the sea)
    Presumably enlisted just for war service.

Is this a completely separate service record?

Are the documents you have found all in ADM188?

hovever his death cert reads pensioned r n seaman 14184 which in TNA refers to a completly different guy a one john hardie
    I take it you have searched somewhere for the number 14184.

If you have searched documents online for records of seamen's service the number you have given is a continuous service number. Looking at documentsonline this indeed does refer to John HARDIE

It might be useful if you could tell us

What is your grandfather's name?

If you have found an entry under his name using documentsonline, there should be what is listed as his 'official number' what is that number please? I would expect it to either consist of 5 digits and begin with 9, or six digits and begin with 1

What are you hoping to find?

paul346

Thanks for coming back so quickly
    Yes i have the service hitory for a Henry Matthews No96092 Born 1860 which shows he was in the navy from 1866 till 1919
    with a gap between 1899 till 1914 but as i said my gf death cert gives his service no as 14184

Geoffers

Yes i have the service history for a Henry Matthews No96092 Born 1860 which shows he was in the navy from 1866 till 1919
    I'll assume that's a typing error and should read 'from 1877'. The 96092 is the continuous service number allocated to him on joining.

my gf death cert gives his service no as 14184
    Are there any letters in front of the number? It is possible that there should be and it is just missing. For service numbers issued 1908-1923 see paragraph 3.2 of this TNA research guide. I suspect this number just relates to his second period of service, in WW1. Does the service record for WW1 indicate a rank, job or posting from 1914?

paul346

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    I'll assume that's a typing error and should read 'from 1877'. The 96092 is the continuous service number allocated to him on joining.

My mistake shold read 1876 2years as boy then another 20 years

Are there any letters in front of the number? It is possible that there should be and it is just missing. For service numbers issued 1908-1923 see paragraph 3.2 of this TNA research guide. I suspect this number just relates to his second period of service, in WW1. Does the service record for WW1 indicate a rank, job or posting from 1914?
    no number on my gf death cert just 14184 the rank for 1914 is POII would this get him a different pension number
    Thanks

Geoffers

no number on my gf death cert just 14184 the rank for 1914 is POII would this get him a different pension number
    It wouldn't get him a different service number, as mentioned before have a look at the linked research guide. Your chap had served once, retired and rejoined the RN at a time when a different system of numbering had been introduced.

Have you looked at the RN medal rolls to see what is recorded for your chap there? (These are in the series ADM171 which are available on the pay-per-view site 'ancestry').

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

On the WW1 medal roll there is a Henry Matthews 96092 rated PO2, entitled to the British War Medal (only medal).

Martin

paul346

HI
    prity sure its my gf service record as the dates fit and other henry matthews didnt do there 20 years to get a pension
    perhaps the 14184 relaite to his pension
    paul

paul346

sorry thank geoffers & crimea 1854 for your help

Geoffers

pretty sure it's my gf service record as the dates fit and other henry matthews didnt do there 20 years to get a pension
    Was your grandfather's birth registered - do you have a birth certificate for him?

If you do, does that date of birth then match the record on documentsonline?

Was your old boy in the RN when he married? Does the occupation on the marriage certificate tie up with anything on the service record?

As you're in London, why not pop along to Kew and see what else you can find - Pension records for example?

Do you have any photos of him in uniform and if so do any markings on it match anything noted in his service record?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast