Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Woolwich Policeman 1910

I would be grateful for some guidance in researching a policeman.

A second husband of a relative, a Mr Ernest (?W) Steward, was we understand a policeman in Woolwich, from around 1900, and was invalided out with a medical condition aged 23 and then continued as a Docks police man.

How should I go about looking for him ? He is not found on the 1911 Census. I believe he was born in Essex
    and was married in Woolwich in 1926.

LittleMissP

Do you have a copy of the marriage certificate? That should show his full name, an age, his occupation and his father's details. That should then help locating him on the 1901 and 1911 censuses. What makes you think he was born in Essex?

Geoffers

If your chap served in the Metropolitan Police, have a read of this TNA research guide

Can you find anything of use on TNA's Your Archives in the Registers of Leavers?
    (Note this is just for the Met, not the Docks Police).

I've been through all the Leavers as suggested. No Ernest Steward. Does that imply that he went on to the dock duties but was still part of the Met ?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by DocDAve
    Does that imply that he went on to the dock duties but was still part of the Met ?
    It would imply that he wasn't in the Met - or your information on when he left was incorrect - or you have missed him in the 991 files available on Your Archives; have you been all the way through to MEPO4/347 pages 233 + 236 (dated 1926)? - Did he leave after 1926?

Any luck with the pages dealing with records of service?

How strong an understanding do you have that we was a policeman in Woowich?

Famous for offering help & advice

According to the gendocs website the Port of London Police Authority registers, listing every member of the force, are held by the Archivist, Port of Tilbury Police, Police Headquarters, Tilbury Freeport, Essex RM18 7DU. The Port of Tilbury London Police do seem to have a website also so you may be able to contact them by email.

Thanks. I have it from my mother's aunt, who knew him, that he was a bobby , born 1887 in Essex ( she believes Grays Thurrock but I can only find Ernest Steward's in Brightlingsea and Plumstead) and that he was on the beat in Woolwich and then, after developing a stomach ulcer, was invalided out aged 23 which points to a date of 1910 . At what age would a career policeman join up- 16 or 17 ?

I haven't got his marriage cert .

The records of service - are these the photographed attestation lists available for viewing online?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by DocDAve
    I can only find Ernest Steward's in Brightlingsea and Plumstead) and that he was on the beat in Woolwich and then, after developing a stomach ulcer, was invalided out aged 23 which points to a date of 1910 . At what age would a career policeman join up- 16 or 17 ?
    You mention finding a chap in Plumstead - from my limited knowledge of Lun-dun - that isn't far from Woolwich.

At the time you mention police could enlist from 21 years of age - so your chap may have joined about 1908-9.

The records of service - are these the photographed attestation lists available for viewing online?
    Click on the link given for records of service. You will see several tables. On the right the column shows whether photographs are available. On the left of each column is a link. Click on the link you want and you get taken to another page which is a photographic reference table. Links to the photos of relevant pages are on the right.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    According to the gendocs website the Port of London Police Authority registers, listing every member of the force, are held by the Archivist, Port of Tilbury Police, Police Headquarters, Tilbury Freeport, Essex RM18 7DU. The Port of Tilbury London Police do seem to have a website also so you may be able to contact them by email.
    I've just had a look on the Tilbury police site and they say that their records up to 1960 are now held at London Museum. - and glancing at the museum site I think the info will be in the Museum of London's Port and River collection.

Mutley

If he was born in 1887 then I don't think he could have become a Met. Policeman until about 1908. You say he was 'out' by 1910 so he would not be on the 1901 census (at 14 yrs old) or on the 1911 as a Policeman.

Do you have his parents names, father's occupation?
    otherwise I think it must be obtaining the marriage certificate to track him down in the census.

Woolwich and Plumstead are side by side and it is a ferry ride across the Thames to get to Thurrock.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast