Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

I agree the marriage cert is a must. I have got him on the BMD index in 1926 matched with the right woman in Woolwich.
    Don't have his parents, only guesses at Plumstead/Bright'sea so it will be good to have his fathers' name. VG point about occupation which will not be stated on 1911 unless says retired policeman. We know he took on provisions shop . Only in the force for 2 yrs then. I will investigate the Port and River collection to see if his docks police record is there. Still looking through the attestation lists on the TNA site starting in 1908.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by DocDAve
    ..........about occupation which will not be stated on 1911 unless says retired policeman
    Owing to the length of time he served, he would have just been dismissed as medically unfit; he wouldn't have been regarded as a retired policeman.

I have more information having found the right family on the 1891 and 1901 Censuses

Ernest was born in Sible Hedingham, Essex of parents William and Sarah in 1888. By 1901 they were in Stifford, Grays Thurrock, Essex and he was 13.

I wonder if he was therefore a policeman in the Essex police in Grays . Does anyone have any suggestions for exploring this idea?
    My Aunt believes he got a job in the Woolwich dock police on the strength of his constables job albeit of 2 yrs only. She remembers his truncheon hanging up in the scullery

Geoffers

In your shoes I'd start with the Essex Police Museum an ask if they hold any records relatin to service, or have a database of officers. It may be that surviving personnel records are deposited with the County Record Office. Don't expect to find a record similar to an army service record; any record is likely to e quite short.

I have heard back from the Essex Police Museum and Ernest is ruled out from their constabulary. The Met becomes most likely.

Does any one have photocopies or has transcribed the TNA Alphabetical List Of Joiners for 1907-10 who would be kind
    enough to look him up ?

Geoffers

As indicated in one of my previous messages, further MEPO records are available online, some are not yet transcribed.

However, the alphabetical list of joiners in MEPO4/337 is on flickr. (The link opens on page 1, you need page 5).

For 1907-1910 you will need to view

MEPO4/337/297
    MEPO4/337/298
    MEPO4/337/299
    MEPO4/337/300

(These are the references to the photos on the flickr stream, moving your cursor over the photos highlights the references).

The photos can be enlarged so that they can be more easily read.

There looks to be a possible match for your chap.

Help ! - I can't figure out from the link https://yourarchives.nationalarchives...tle=MEPO_4/337

how to see the register....

Geoffers

To shortcut things, just click on

https://www.flickr.com/photos/naphoto...7621998637189/

Scroll down to the foot of all the thumbnail images.

To save keep clicking 'next' several tmes, just click on the little number 5

which should bring you here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/naphoto...637189/?page=5

You need to again scroll down to the bottom of the page.

MEPO4/337/297 is third in from the left on the bottom row.

1909 10th May (appointment) STEWARD, ERNEST ALBERT Warrant Number 96843

Geoffers Thanks ++++

We didn't know his middle name before

Geoffers

From your first post with the question mark over the middle initial, that was the entry that stood out for me as being likely to be your chap.

There may be other records on the same flickr stream which relate to this chap

https://www.flickr.com/photos/naphotorecords/

but at least you now have somewhere postive to work from.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast