Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge
    Should this thread continue in London forum or the title changed and it moved to Northamptonshire?
    Colin, thread moved as suggested, title changed (if you don't like it I can change it again). I've edited message no.1 (without amending the orignal text) to make it clear that further information has been found and where it is shown in the thread. I hope this is okay.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Colin, thread moved as suggested, title changed (if you don't like it I can change it again). I've edited message no.1 (without amending the orignal text) to make it clear that further information has been found and where it is shown in the thread. I hope this is okay.
    Hi Geoffers.
    Just to clarify - Jane - maiden name unknown- is from Newnham and born c. 1766. See post #1, and post #10- thanks.

Colin

Colin Moretti

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    ...I never would have 'thunk' to look for a web-site of Potterspury. ....

Colin
    First port of call in cases like this is FreeREG - like FreeBMD except that it is concerned with parish registers. It's work in progress so far from complete. In this case they have nothing for Potterspury but there is, very helpfully, a link to the village web site. Had that failed a visit to GENUKI would have been next.

As it happens there are a lot of village websites in Northamptonshire, many containing far more information than appears on the Pottersbury site, see, for example, the Milton Keynes Heritage Association site which has links to lots of village sites.

Colin
    Last edited by Colin Moretti; 11-01-2011 at 9:42 AM. Reason: addition

Towcester

Hi Colin,

If it's any help, I have this in the Towcester PR's:

1792 18 May Charles Geer bach of Braunston & Jane Johnson spinster otp Lic
    Wit: George Jennings, Joshua Aburn

Mary

Pennie

Hi Colin ...

If you still wish to research the JOHNSON line, then I have access to Newnham PRs at my local library.

Pennie

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Pennie View Post
    Hi Colin ...

If you still wish to research the JOHNSON line, then I have access to Newnham PRs at my local library.

Pennie
    Thank you for offer. As you may have noted from another of my threads recently, things are a trifle difficult at the moment.

Do you have enough info. to start lookups for me? If not, please let me know what you require and I'll see what I have to assist you.

Cheers

Pennie

Hi Colin ...

With the information you've already posted, I can have a look for Jane's baptism and then hopefully find her parents' marriage. I've already had a look on the Northamptonshire MI and there is a possible JOHNSON marriage in Newnham in 1751. This is the only one before 1770, but there are at least a dozen or so in the later 1700s and first half of the 1800s - so there were obviously JOHNSON family members in the parish!).

I would hope to get to the library next week, so will post again with any findings.

Pennie

Pennie

Hi Colin ...

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you - both myself (and my car) have had a minor illness!

Unfortunately, the Newnham PRs of the mid 1700s were almost impossible to read due to poor quality fiches and fiche-reader, plus the baptisms/marriages/burials were all mixed together. It was therefore not possible to look for Jane's baptism or for the JOHNSON marriage in 1751. I did, however, chance upon a burial of a "Robt. JOHNSON, infant" on 26 FEB 1766, so there was obviously a JOHNSON family living in the village.

It may be that the printed copy of the PR (probably held at NRO) would be easier to read. Alternatively, there is an individual on the Northamptonshire Look Up Exchange offering look ups of the Newnham PRs. Also, Newnham baptisms are included in the Northamptonshire Baptism Index 1751-1812 - this can be purchased or you can often get a look up done on a messageboard/mailing list.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Penny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12