Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Cause of death Jaundice??

Received the death cert for my GGG grandmother today and cause of death is given as Icterus, which seems to be another name for jaundice. I would have thought that this was a symptom rather than a cause. Did the doctor not want to investigate further or what? Similarly a few months earlier my GGGGgrandmother dies at the same address and her death is given a apoplexy. Again a catch all name for a sudden death. Any thoughts?

Reputation beyond repute

I think apoplexy means stroke.

I don't think there was much need or incentive for doctors to investigate causes of death very deeply.

glynisaddy

hi
    jaundice is a symptom of an underlying disease,the causes can be indicitive of a liver cancer or disease of the gallbladder,I would have thought that a doctor would have wanted to know the cause for your relatives jaundice.
    as to apoplexy this is a term sometimes used to signify a stroke( cerebro vascular incident)
    hope this is of some help.
    glynis

Thanks to both about apoplexy. I also would have thought that a doctor would want to know the underlying cause of jaundice.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Rabbit View Post
    I also would have thought that a doctor would want to know the underlying cause of jaundice.
    The degree of investigation into a cause of death may depend on the date, which you haven't told us.

Reputation beyond repute

I also would have thought that a doctor would want to know the underlying cause of jaundice.
    I don't know if "want " comes into it. If their instructions allowed them to write something vague like "jaundice" and there was no reason to suspect foul play, why would they dig any deeper?

Ah the date that was March 1874

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I was wondering if it was a very early certificate, but apparently not.

As regards reporting the underlying cause, I think Peter probably has the measure of it (post #6 above).

Philippa_Harvey

This might not be in the slightest bit relevant, but when I was a child (this side of 1874 I have to stress ) jaundice was another word used to describe hepatitis.

Philippa

You could be onto something there. I imagine given living conditions in the Potteries at the time that hepatitis wasn't that uncommon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast