Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RobinC

Default Same person, two 1901 census entries

I was looking for the whereabouts of a Jane Isabella Parham who was born in 1879 in Deptford, Greenwich.

She was married in 1905 to a Walter Taylor, (I can't find them after this) but is listed twice on the 1901 census as are the other people at her place of residence:

As an Officer at the Greenwich Union Infirmary:

Class: RG13; Piece: 543; Folio: 147; Page: 3

As an Infirmary Nurse at the Greenwich Union Infirmary:

RG13; Piece: 543; Folio: 148; Page: 3

Has anyone come across something like this before?

census references care of TNA

Reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about being listed twice. The clerk who completed the form mucked up one page (he wrongly entered the occupation in column 2). This page is crossed through and was therefore intended to be ignored. The correct enumeration of your ancestor is on folio 147.

The official 1901 census site has transcribed Jane Isabella PARHAM only once which I would say is the correct interpretation.

Nicolina

in 1911 they were at 145 Shardeloes Road S E (RG14PN2655 RG78PN90 RD28 SD3 ED14 SN261)
    Walter aged 31 occ: Commercial Traveller Hosiery
    Jane Isabella aged 32
    Grace Winifred aged 4
    Evelyn May aged 1

all born Deptford

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I wouldn't say she was listed twice. The clerk who completed the form mucked up one page (he wrongly entered the occupation in column 2). This page is crossed through and was therefore intended to be ignored. The correct enumeration of your ancestor is on folio 147.
    That would explain the two census entries, but what would an Officer do in the Infirmary?

Mutley

She is quite easy to find in Greenwich in 1911 as Jane Isabella Taylor.

RobinC

I put Jane Isabella Taylor in to the search engine and nothing came up, even when I put in Deptford as the birthplace.

Reputation beyond repute

but what would an Officer do in the Infirmary?
    She was a Probationer Nurse, tending the sick. She was an Officer of the infirmary and not an inmate or patient. All the staff are listed as Officers except the Medical Superintendent who is shown as "Head".

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I put Jane Isabella Taylor in to the search engine and nothing came up, even when I put in Deptford as the birthplace.
    1911 Census
    RG14. PN (piece) 2655, SN (schedule) 261
    Deptford, London

(record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)

Nicolina

I used the official 1911 Census site to find her before checking on FMP. The 1911 Census is very useful when you know when some-one was born. Just use the advance search and you can also enter the name of some-one else who ought to be living with them, this narrows down the number of hits.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC
    I put Jane Isabella Taylor in to the search engine and nothing came up.
    If using Findmypast did you use the basic or advanced search?

If you use the basic search, you can only enter one forename.

Click on the 'advanced search' tab and you can enter additional detail - e.g. second forenames.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast