dixidan

Question Blackburn Newspaper

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows which newspaper was covering the Blackburn area in 1961 and whether the newspaper are online anywhere. I have two ancestors who both died in the same quarter in 1961 and was wondering where I could look for the death notices.

Thanks in advance

Kirstie

Knowledgeable and helpful

Probably the Lancashire Telegraph - it would have been the Northern Evening Telegraph in 1961. I don't think issues from that era are on line.

Just checked the Blackburn library website - they hold copies (mostly on micro film) of this paper from its beginnings. Maybe, plan a day out in Blackburn?
    Last edited by carolchipp; 12-02-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: additional info

malcolm99

The Blackburn Times was also still being published in 1961 and Blackburn Library is meant to have a run of this paper as well. I can't imagine that either of these titles will be available online in the foreseeable future.

If you know exactly when your ancestors died you could ask Blackburn Local Studies Library to have a quick check for you (but they wouldn't be able to do a detailed check over a long period I'm sure): https://www.blackburn.gov.uk/server.p...ConWebDoc.2865

dixidan

Thanks for your help, I will give them at call to see if can help.

Thanks again