Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sue keeler

Default Herring Family Brick Wall

Hi, I see online that you are interested in the Herring family. My grandmother was a Mabel Herring B 1891 in Catford now part of London. I have traced her Herrings back to William Herring B 1805 Woolwich, London the son of Henry and Mary Herring. I can trace no other brothers and sisters in that area for William and think that his family came into the area from elsewhere, Woolwich being a major army/navy base at the time. The family did have connections to Lowestoft in Suffolk which is just over the border from Norfolk.
    All four of Williams daughters emigrated to Australia in 1884/5. Three of them departed in 1885 on the Duke of Sutherland. Also on board was a Samuel Herring age 27 a farm labourer born around 1857 in Norfolk. I believe he may have been the one baptised in Saham Toney, Norfolk the son of William Herring B 1817 Bodney and Charlotte Burgiss. I think I saw online you say that some of your Herring family moved to London and wonder if you have any information you can share with me?
    Family folklore has it that we are connected to Thomas Herring, the Archbishop of Canterbury 1747-57. I believe he also came from Norfolk. He had a cousin, Harriet Herring who married the banker, Francis Baring. Harriet and Francis set up home in Lee, Catford which is where I grew up, indeed the road next to mine was called Baring Rd. My Herrings owned a coaching company in Catford.
    Any help you may be able to give me would be appreciated.
    Best Wishes Sue.

Hugh Thompson

Are there any early records for Mylor Cornwall amongst them, 1550-1675? I know that the original pr's were lost and the BT's went the same way when Exeter Cathedral was bombed in WW2
    Thanks.
    Hugh.

Ultramum

Hi Sue
    Seen your post
    Will attempt to answer some of your questions via a PM to avoid cluttering up the thread

Probably later tonight or tomorrow :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12