RogerK

Default Martin - Papworth St Agnes

John Martin married Mary Ann Johnson at Papworth St.Agnes in 1826. Their first born, Caroline 7 Oct. 1827 was my gggrandmother. She married John King of Warboys in 1847. Grateful for anyinformation on Martins or Kings

Brick wall demolition expert!

Is this your John Martin in this census here ...

1841 Class: HO107; Piece 70; Book: 11; Folio: 3; Page: 8;
    Civil Parish: Papworth St Agnes;

If this is the correct John then he was born abt 1803 at Papworth St Agnes (according to the later census). On family search pilot there is a christening for a John Martin in 1802 at Papworth St Agnes. Parents William and Mary. There are also lots of other children by William and Mary. Have you looked at these?

What specific information are you after relating to the Martin's and Kings?

RogerK

Thanks olliecat - I hadn't got John Martin's christening date or the names of his parents but I did know about caroline's many brothers and sisters. I visited Papworth St Agnes 4/5 years ago and discovered the Martin family graves. I had to pull away ivy which in turn pulled away flaking sandstone. I could definitely make out the surname but little else. They could be totally indecipherable by now.

RogerK

Thanks notanotherminer - as you say, I've got back as far as William King b1798. I have all the children from his son John's marriage to Caroline Martin. Their oldest child, Arthur Martin King, b1849, was my great grandfather and he married Ellen Coe who died whilst they were living in Wells, Somerset in 1908. He remarried and ended up in Ross on Wye, I don't know if the 2nd marriage produced children. My grandfather Arthur William King b1873 Rugby had a brother Frank. I would be interested in what became of him and learning of any descendents. I'm not really expecting to get back earlier tahn 1798 on the King line but would also be curious to find out if any connected Kings still reside in or around Warboys.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerK View Post
    My grandfather Arthur William King b1873 Rugby had a brother Frank. I would be interested in what became of him and learning of any descendents.
    Looks like brother Frank John King married. He's in the 1911 census in Kent with his wife, his child and his father.

RG14PN4091 RG78PN157 RD50 SD2 ED18 SN18

markwen

I am a descendant of John Martin's brother James b 1814 in Papworth St Agnes - James is my gggrandfather.
    Caroline was one of 10 children , and her sister Rhoda was an umarried mother I believe - the father of her child Thomas c1858 is given as Benjamin Buck - but she lives the rest of her life with a Martin surname. Her son Thomas m Eliza Cooper 1883 and they had at least two children and in 1901 were living in Chatteris Cambs. Hope this information is useful in yout family history.

RogerK

Thanks markwen. Good to have the extra information on Caroline Martin's siblings. John Martin, was my ggg grandfather and he married Mary Ann Johnson at Papworth St.Agnes on 8 Sept 1826. My records show that they only had nine children including my gg grandmother Caroline, born 7 Oct 1827. I'm interested if you've found a tenth. As well as Caroline I have Henry 18 April 1830;
    Rhoda 1 Jan. 1834; Elizabeth 9 Nov. 1835 ( died aged 6 months ); Elizabeth 3 Sept 1837; Esther 7 June 1840; Julia 3 July 1842;
    John 1 June 1845; Francis 8 Sept 1826.
    My surname is King and it is following the male King line that led me to Caroline who married John King at Warboys on 13 Oct 1847. They produced eight children, my g grandfather Arthur Martin King 29 April 1849 plus Henry 1850; Ellen 1857; Henry 1858; Alfred 1861; William 1865; Emma 1867 and John 1869. As far as I can gather, the King clan seemed to have been in and around Warboys for a long time at least 150 years. Arthur Martin became more mobile as a (landscape) gardener living in Wells, Somerset, Rugby and finally in Ross-on-Wye where he died.